Earthquake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can recall the Whittier quake (1987) and the Northridge quake (1994) and while they were both mag 6's they felt very different (and was about the same distance from the epicenter of each). The key is ground acceleration.

Here is some interesting historical stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_ground_acceleration

Anything over 1g readily topples structures, especially if the design relies on gravity to hold things together.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!! Grab your oil stash and your children and fish bowl!!!! Time for a strong one.
35.gif

Be careful discussing the frac'ing relationship, since it's so contentious. The Colorado seismicity may be triggered by wastewater injection--likely not the hydraulic fracturing process.

Note that I wrote "triggered," implying that there is preexisting tectonic stress that would have led to an earthquake eventually, but that injection advanced its occurrence (this is a well documented phenomenon).

The other situation is "induced" sesmicity, where the stress comes almost entirely from the injected fluid. This is unlikely for a large earthquake because of the principle of energy conservation.

I advise against using the word "caused."

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
There goes the stock market ...Again.

What do you mean, the DOW 30 is up 300 pts!

According to Paul Krugman, natural disasters are fantastic for the economy!
happy2.gif

Quote:
Significant historical earthquakes have occurred in the Trinidad region in 1966 and 1973. Reexamination of felt reports from these earthquakes suggest that the 1973 events may have occurred in the same area, and possibly on the same fault, as the 2001 swarm.

spankme2.gif
The fracking is nothing but speculation in both of your sources. Nothing putting a finger on it at all.

I agree; think of it a "natural" stimulus package!

Then we should continually demolish entire cities to create jobs....

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I agree; think of it a "natural" stimulus package!

Then we should continually demolish entire cities to create jobs....

Shouldn't take a natural disaster to put one forward but it always does! LOL

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Be careful discussing the frac'ing relationship, since it's so contentious. The Colorado seismicity may be triggered by wastewater injection--likely not the hydraulic fracturing process.

Note that I wrote "triggered," implying that there is preexisting tectonic stress that would have led to an earthquake eventually, but that injection advanced its occurrence (this is a well documented phenomenon).

The other situation is "induced" sesmicity, where the stress comes almost entirely from the injected fluid. This is unlikely for a large earthquake because of the principle of energy conservation.

I advise against using the word "caused."

+1

Man, I ALWAYS miss out. Not like I really want to experience an earthquake, but I have never in my life felt so much as a tremor (and realized it). I remember fifth or sixth grade, there was a nearby earthquake, everyone was yapping about it, and I had no idea what happened. It's happened a couple/few other times as well.

But here I am in Charlotte, NC, quite close to the origin, and didn't feel a thing again. Yet people in NJ and NY felt it? Maybe my butt is just numb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back