Earthquake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing over here. Then again we rarely feel anything in the central valley. Hope you folks out in the east coast are ok.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Government buildings are closing and there is panic everywhere...over a 6.0? That's just a decent shaker on the west coast. Move along, nothing to see here....

If I felt a 1.0 before, that's high.

Haven't they been saying that the east coast is due for a bigger one?

Maybe (hopefully) this is it...

Government buildings are closing and there is panic everywhere...over a 6.0? That's just a decent shaker on the west coast. Move along, nothing to see here....

6.0s historically in the northeast have caused substantial damage. They don't have the building codes like Japan or the western US has.

http://www.nesec.org/hazards/earthquakes.cfm#history

There's already been reports of damage.

Plenty "to see here".

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

6.0s historically in the northeast have caused substantial damage. They don't have the building codes like Japan or the western US has.

Plenty "to see here".

Largest in over 40 years in CO.

Originally Posted By: 229

Plenty "to see here".

Largest in over 40 years in CO.

Indeed - the CO quake is looking more and more like it was caused from coal bed natural gas fracking; the same thing happened in the same area in CO in 2001 after natrual gas fracking and excess water from operations was pumped back into the ground.

Quote:

Plenty "to see here".

Still waiting to see it. I'm sure there is some damage of fascia and other things but evacuating the Pentagon and the White House for a 5.8-6.0?? Closing airports?

Serious over reaction and panic happening.

Indeed - the CO quake is looking more and more like it was caused from coal bed natural gas fracking; the same thing happened in the same area in CO in 2001 after natrual gas fracking and excess water from operations was pumped back into the ground.

I'd like to see proof of this.

Cali-for-nia no longer has the sole entitlents of earth quakes.

You're in a fault zone ..the Atlantic Plate.This particular plate moves slowly compared to the pacific plate, however it does move.

It is feasible, were seeing that whole areas are sinking and raising due to water table changes and other things.

Whether or not it was the case here is another question.

I have felt nothing here in south central MI today.

We did have a 5.3 here a few years ago. It woke me up at 5-something AM.

Taken from an article on the USGS website - it's offline currently I'm assuming because of excessive bandwidth from today's quakes.

"A swarm of 12 widely felt earthquakes occurred between August 28 and September 21, 2001, in the area west of the town of Trinidad, Colorado. The earthquakes ranged in magnitude between 2.8 and 4.6, and the largest event occurred on September 5, eight days after the initial M 3.4 event. The nearest permanent seismograph station to the swarm is about 290 km away, resulting in large uncertainties in the location and depth of these events. To better locate and characterize the earthquakes in this swarm, we deployed a total of 12 portable seismographs in the area of the swarm starting on September 6. Here we report on data from this portable network that was recorded between September 7 and October 15. During this time period, we have high-quality data from 39 earthquakes. The hypocenters of these earthquakes cluster to define a 6 km long northeast-trending fault plane that dips steeply (70-80°) to the southeast. The upper bound of well-constrained hypocenters is near 3 km depth and lower bound is near 6 km depth. Preliminary fault mechanisms suggest normal faulting with movement down to the southeast.

Significant historical earthquakes have occurred in the Trinidad region in 1966 and 1973. Reexamination of felt reports from these earthquakes suggest that the 1973 events may have occurred in the same area, and possibly on the same fault, as the 2001 swarm.

In recent years, a large volume of excess water that is produced in conjunction with coal-bed methane gas production has been returned to the subsurface in fluid disposal wells in the area of the earthquake swarm. Because of the proximity of these disposal wells to the earthquakes, local residents and officials are concerned that the fluid disposal might have triggered the earthquakes."

Same thing is happening in Arkansas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/06/fracking-arkansas-earthquakes_n_831633.html

Here Tempest, this is from Fox News so you'll think it's more legitimate.
smirk.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/01/fracking-earthquakes-arkansas-man-experts-warn/

It shook my house, and had the kid across the street run out of her house with her dog. No damage but a weird feeling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back