cartridge filters and my cx-7 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2011 mazda cx-7 turbo which, according to my dealer, takes the cartridge filters. i keep on finding conflicting info on this. some places shows it takes a canister filter others showing the cartridge. so assuming it takes the cartridge filter what are my options out there as far as which manufactures make cartridge type filters? it looks like my options are limited. i know amsoil makes one which is nice. any others?

It os cartridge. Hold one, I'll report back w/ a link to one of my posts here a long time ago that lists most all of them w/ part #. But just about everyone makes one for it.

One way to find out if your filter is a spin on or cartridge is to look at it. My guess is that it's a cartridge.

Can you locate and take a look at the oil filter ? If it's cartridge filter then it is inside a filter housing/holder, if it's a spin-on/canister then it's obvious.

AC Delco - PF1703
Auto Extra - 61857203
Baldwin - P7313
Beck/Arnley - 041-0817
Bosch Distance Plus - D3314
Bosch Premium - 3314
Carquest - 84203
Champ - P960
Defense - DL9641
Ford OEM - FL-2017B
Ford - 1S7G-6744-AC
Ford - 3M4G-6714-AA
Ford - 3M4G-6744-AA
Ford - 3M4Z-6714-AA
Ford - 3M4Z-6744-AC
Ford - 3S7Z-6731-A
Fram ExtraGuard - CH9641
Fram ToughGuard - TG9641
Group 7 - V5505
Hastings - LF594
Havoline - T-59
Intercontinental Auto Parts - ALO-8135
K&N - HP-7013
Lube-Finer - P960
Mann & Hummel - HU711/2
Mann & Hummel - ML 1019
Mazda OEM - L321-14-302-9U
Mazda - L321-14-300
Mazda - L321-14-302
Mazda - LF01-14-302
Microgaurd - MGL9641
Mighty - M960
Mileguard - CH9641
Mobil - MO5505
Mobil 1 Extended Performance - M1C-153
Motorcraft - FL-2017B
Motorcraft - FL-2017A
NAPA - 7203
NAPA Gold – FIL 2703
NAPA ProSelect - SFI 27203
Pennzoil - PZ-159
Performax - PQ-159
Performax - PO-159
Power Flo - SL15505
Pro-Tec - 190
Pronto - PO5505
Purolator Classic - L15505
Purolator PureOne - PL15505
Security - CH-9641
Service Pro - M5505
Silverline - 27203
Supertech - ST9641
Wix - 57203

All of the above are for you car. It's definitely a cartridge, no need to worry. Out of the ones I've tested myself, many, I'd put the K&N head & shoulders above the rest. Also be careful to not get the old Pure 1 model which will deform. It was corrected long ago but there are some on store shelves occasionally.

wow, this really does help. thanks. btw, you can add amsoil EA15K51-EA
thanks

As I understand it, 2010 and up for the turbo has a spin on oil filter. All I know for sure is my 2010 turbo has a spin on and not a cartridge. I just looked it up on Advance Auto's website and it takes a Pure One PL10241. I personally use OEM Mazda (Spin on) filters. They look to be regular purolator's.

I am not sure about the 2.5 NA, but my turbo is a spin on can.

Originally Posted By: BobThe
As I understand it, 2010 and up for the turbo has a spin on oil filter. All I know for sure is my 2010 turbo has a spin on and not a cartridge. I just looked it up on Advance Auto's website and it takes a Pure One PL10241. I personally use OEM Mazda (Spin on) filters. They look to be regular purolator's.

this is what is driving me crazy. i have read that the 2010 turbo has a spin on and the 2011 is a cartridge. for some reason mazda decided to change it from 10-11. dont know why but oh well. and i keep finding conclicting info from site to site.. i guess i just need to get under there and check it out.

Originally Posted By: whitson01

this is what is driving me crazy. i have read that the 2010 turbo has a spin on and the 2011 is a cartridge. for some reason mazda decided to change it from 10-11. dont know why but oh well. and i keep finding conclicting info from site to site.. i guess i just need to get under there and check it out.

Now your talkin.

i seriously just called 3 dealers and spoke with "service advisors" and got different answers!!!!!
but the majority said IT IS A CANISTER/SCREW on type... who knows

There is not an easy way to see it. There is a cover on the bottom that needs to be removed to be able to get to it. The filter is on the bottom of the motor, but the entire bottom has a cover on it. It's not difficult to get it off. There are 8 or so screws holding it in place.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Our Mazda parts look-up shows a spin on for 10-11 CX7's regardless of N/A or Turbo.

thank you. this is what another dealer said. i think that one dealership is a joke. service advisor my [censored].

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Our Mazda parts look-up shows a spin on for 10-11 CX7's regardless of N/A or Turbo.

thank you. this is what another dealer said. i think that one dealership is a joke. service advisor my [censored].

Well for the first few years of production, the CX7 was only available with the 2.3L turbo MZR or whatever its called motor, which only has the cartridge filter. We got used to just pulling the paper filter whenever we saw CX7 on the RO.

I mail ordered 10 OE filters when I bought the car. Since then, I've bought M1 with oil change deals and recently bought a bunch of P1s to take advantage of AAP's online discounts+Purolater rebates.

If you take the various brands out of the box, it is very difficult to tell them apart.

Also, be sure to put anti-seize on the undertray bolts. There was a TSB on this as they corrode and seize up especially if you're in an area that uses road salt.

the info im getting now is prior to 2010 models have the cartridge filters. 2010-2011 either engine take the canister. i havent had a chance to check under the hood yet but im guessing this info is correct. which is fine with me. i prefer a canister type. and im gonna go with napa platinum.

Just a heads up as well. The filter on the 7 from Mazda is larger than the aftermarket or dealer filters. The manual says 6 qts for a oil and filter change but is is really 5.75. If you follow the manual, you will get a slight overfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back