Rotella or Amsoil in Tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I have been pondering a decision for a while and am looking for smarter people to help me out. I've got a Kubota B4200 tractor with a 2 cylinder diesel and the recommended oil is either straight 30 (warm climate) or 10w-30 (cold, you know the deal), and that comes out of an owners manual that was printed in '87. I'm considering using either Shell Rotella T5 10w-30 or Amsoil 3000 Series 5w-30. I live in New Hampshire, not way up north, closer to Boston, but still pretty cold in the winter, which one of these two oils would you recommend given where I live? I know and fully appreciate all of the virtues of synthetic oil, but is the way higher cost of it really going to provide a benefit? I know this might be the wrong forum for a kubota tractor, but I figure this group has more experience with types of oil in question?

I use the T6 variant(5w-40) in my Kubota 26hp diesel year round. Works for me.
Did however use the HDD prior, but with the cost and slight consumption I switched and never have to top off.

Last edited:
I would use the Rotella. It is a solid oil, costs much less and has a good track record. Amsoil is great if you want to spring the extra money for it, but not necessary.

I have used both (xxw-40 variants) in my baby kubota. Don't think the tractor could tell the difference. I sure couldn't. Got Amsoil in it now. About the only possible excuse I can give for using the Amsoil is that the pre-2007 model yr formulation (15w-40 Amsoil AME) may(?) have a more robust package than the current CJ products.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I would use the Rotella. It is a solid oil, costs much less and has a good track record. Amsoil is great if you want to spring the extra money for it, but not necessary.

I pulled the valve covers off of a tractor, that had been using Rotella 10w-30 at 125 hour intervals for the last 10 changes.

Everything was as clean as could be. No need to spend any more $ for Amsoil for me.

I believe their HDD is the most expensive. I still use it in a 20hp Honda GX620, but it's only 2 qts yearly.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of using the T6 5w-40 only because the manual calls for 30 weight. I did see it on the shelf at Wal-Mart though, may give it a closer look. I have a great amount of respect for Amsoil, but that HDD is unbelievably expensive, especially for a 22 year old tractor that has probably never seen synthetic in it's entire life, and still runs excellent today.

Any 10w-30 HDEO will suffice for your application, and usually can be had for around 10 bucks a gallon.

To be honest, I doubt that little Kubie engine really cares.

If you are going to greatly extend your OCIs, I'd go with a high end filter and synthetic.

If not, just run a quality dino HDEO and be done with it.

I run 10w-30 Rotella dino in my Dmax, my Kubota L3430, my Scag/Kawasaki air cooled engine, my 1966 289 v-8 Mustang, and a host of little sundry equipment. All my UOAs have come back fine.

If you cannot wrap your desire around a dino oil, then get the T-5. It's reasonably cheap, very attainable, and has the same cold-cranking rating as the T-6, for a lot less money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If you cannot wrap your desire around a dino oil, then get the T-5. It's reasonably cheap, very attainable, and has the same cold-cranking rating as the T-6, for a lot less money.

Unless you're in Canada, where they tend to be the exact same price or, on occasion, the T6 is actually a buck or two cheaper. Why? I have no idea.

I would go with the T5 it's closer to what the manual calls for and will get the job done,it'll flow just fine in your cold temps i'm sure it's housed inside.

pick a good oil filter and keep the air it breaths clean and it'll out last you.

Some people don't know what you get with Amsoil. With the more expensive oils you get the convenience and cost savings of extended drains.

Please check out the new Amsoil OED - it is $19.45 per gallon case price, and ACD or AME is $26.40 per gallon case price for PC’s. The OED is $26.70 suggested retail and the AME and ACD are $36 suggested retail, but those last two have extended drain capabilities effectively lowering their cost (and no need to pay full retail).

If you buy a case of oil per year, it would only make sense to be a PC as well. Yes, the HDD is expensive Diesel oil at 33.70/gallon wholesale and $43.70 suggested retail. The HDD, however, is the top of the line diesel oil similar to the signature series oils and is a far superior oil and will last longer, which has not been mentioned. ACD SAE 30/10W-30 is my personal recommendation and is Amsoil's most cost effective 30 weight full, true synthetic diesel oil, and even lower pricing can be obtained by becoming a PC.

Sorry to throw all these prices out there. Diesels with large capacity oil systems can easily be good candidates for extended drains.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Some people don't know what you get with Amsoil. With the more expensive oils you get the convenience and cost savings of extended drains.

Please check out the new Amsoil OED - it is $19.45 per gallon case price, and ACD or AME is $26.40 per gallon case price for PC’s. The OED is $26.70 suggested retail and the AME and ACD are $36 suggested retail, but those last two have extended drain capabilities effectively lowering their cost (and no need to pay full retail).

If you buy a case of oil per year, it would only make sense to be a PC as well. Yes, the HDD is expensive Diesel oil at 33.70/gallon wholesale and $43.70 suggested retail. The HDD, however, is the top of the line diesel oil similar to the signature series oils and is a far superior oil and will last longer, which has not been mentioned. ACD SAE 30/10W-30 is my personal recommendation and is Amsoil's most cost effective 30 weight full, true synthetic diesel oil, and even lower pricing can be obtained by becoming a PC.

Sorry to throw all these prices out there. Diesels with large capacity oil systems can easily be good candidates for extended drains.

ACD would be a great choice too,i love that oil,that's all my OPE's diet.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Some people don't know what you get with Amsoil.

I'd go you one further and say most people don't know what they get with any synthetic. Most people use them because they are "synthetic" and know nothing else of the pro's and con's. They drink the synthetic koolaid and don't stop to really analyze their wants versus needs.

I would completely agree that Amsoil's products you mentioned would do an excellent job in extended OCIs. We've all seen the evidence that they are capable offerings.

But if he's not going to extend the OCI, any synthetic is a waste.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
OP whats your OCI schedule? i didn't see it unless i missed it.
There unto lies the problem. It is said that the average consumer puts approximately 60 hours per year on to their lawn or garden tractor and I would be surprised if I put 100 hours a year on this thing. One of the previous posters mentioned that I run the T5 on 125 hour change intervals and I think the one year will come up befor the hours will. My wife and have a small gentleman's farm with a couple of horses. It will see use around the pasture with the front end loader and will be used as a lawn mower, typical harvey home owner sort of stuff. Now if I were a professional who was making my living with this machine, then the 600 hour change interval of the Amsoil would make perfect sense. Again, know all the virtues of synthetic and Amsoil, but is it worht it for what I am doing with it. Thanks for all of the replies, this has been a good discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back