Ceramic in engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all:

Is this true?

Some mechanic here says that some engine oils have ceramic for wear protection. I'm not an oil guy but I heard of the zinc compound ZDDP and got this feeling that he confused this with that.

If it really is true, how does it compare with zinc?

I've never heard of any oils that have ceramic in them, but there are some additives that have it.

Zinc is a known anti-wear agent, ceramic not so much. They are completely different.

Hmm, can't find link where I've seen that LM TopTech oils contain Cera Tec.But you can always e-mail them, In some cases CEO himself will answer you. On the video Top Tech oils look milky colored, like Cera Tec additive.

Thank you for the replies.

I searched and did not find any oil that comes with ceramic. Additives slipped my mind.

If Liqui Moly provides a ceramic additive then it makes sense that some of their oils have it. I'll use this in my next search, with priority to their top techs.

I did a lot of reading and spoke with companies that make the actual the actual nano ceramic particles, MoS2, and Tungsten Disulfide. Of the three MoS2 is the best for oil according to the companies that actually produce and sell the raw materials. Ceramic finds its way into the combustion chamber and can foul plugs. Tungsten Disulfide is very good but quickly settles out of suspension and for that reason is not used much. MoS2 seems to work the best [of the three], at least from my reading and inquiries. As with everything on Bitog opinions vary.

I like Ceramic in my brake pad, NOT in my oil :)

Seriously, why would anybody want one of the hardest friction material in their engine oil? Would you buy an oil which had diamond powder in it?

Any scientist among us who can explain this apparent dilemma?

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Trav
It is not a ceramic as we normally think of it, that would destroy the engine in minutes.
It is hexagonal boron nitride AKA white graphite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_nitride

This is a large German manufacturer, it wouldnt surprise me if LM gets it from them.

http://www.bornitrid.com/html/eng/boron_...CFRkn3wod6VtIag

That's the one Trav, I was told it finds its way into the combustion chamber and can foul plugs. It might be worth testing in a beater.
21.gif

Of course it is not the ceramic we see on floors and walls. Iron is important to the human body isn't it?

I'm not a certified mechanic (or a mechanic at all), but I believe this kinda modern stuff works with new engines and old engines in top shape. Look how synthetic old leak on high mileage engines.

After some reading, including yours Demarpaint, I think I'll pass on it for my Mercedes.

I think if we looked at Wikipedia and the definition of ceramics and especially ceramic materials you will find somehting like this:

Quote:
Boron nitride is structurally isoelectronic to carbon and takes on similar physical forms: a graphite-like one used as a lubricant, and a diamond-like one used as an abrasive.

or

Quote:
Technical ceramics can also be classified into three distinct material categories:

Oxides: alumina, beryllia, ceria, zirconia
Nonoxides: carbide, boride, nitride, silicide
Composite materials: particulate reinforced, fiber reinforced, combinations of oxides and nonoxides.

Each one of these classes can develop unique material properties because ceramics tend to be crystalline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think if we looked at Wikipedia and the definition of ceramics and especially ceramic materials you will find somehting like this:

Quote:
Boron nitride is structurally isoelectronic to carbon and takes on similar physical forms: a graphite-like one used as a lubricant, and a diamond-like one used as an abrasive.

or

Quote:
Technical ceramics can also be classified into three distinct material categories:

Oxides: alumina, beryllia, ceria, zirconia
Nonoxides: carbide, boride, nitride, silicide
Composite materials: particulate reinforced, fiber reinforced, combinations of oxides and nonoxides.

Each one of these classes can develop unique material properties because ceramics tend to be crystalline.

When you read some of those definitions it sounds like sandpaper. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back