ATF+4 and Lubegard

Status
Not open for further replies.
After buying several new cars only to end up transmission prone models, I am tired of tired transmissions. Had a Honda Ody, Honda Accord and Dodge Grand Caravan. All of which turned our to be model years with weak transmissions. I still have the Dodge and the Accord. The 1999 Accord has to have a rebuild and with 200,000 miles I guess I got lucky. I am planning a filter and 4 quart change on the Dodge. I will use ATF+4 which they call for but was wondering if it is worth while to add Lubegard. I have read and read but find it difficult to get answers. Lubegard Plat says it makes other trans fluids like those like ATF+4. Well I would say I do not need that, but how about the Red Bottle. I want to do the best I can to prevent problems and if a bottle of Lubegard will not hurt, I would gladly add it as hope for better service.

As far as I know, Lubegard may not give you extra benefit if you are going to use ATF+4 in the Grand Caravan, but it doesn't hurt to add a bottle of either Platinum or Red either. The only negative is the cost of about $10 for a bottle.

"Factory spec." trans. fluid (ATF+4), conventional or synthetic and RED bottle Lubegard; you can't do better.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Honestly.. it can ONLY help.. stay away from the platnum.. Red bottle only.

Why not use the Platinum?

Hello, +1 on "why not Platinum?" and could someone give a rundown on Lubegard (facts and myths greatly appreciated). What is it said to do? Is it a friction modifier? Thanks. KIra

Last edited:
ATF+4 and LG Red is the way to go in a Chrysler product. I added it to my Jeep when I dropped the tranny pan and did a fluid exchange. Two mechanics and a tranny shop suggested it. I used it in my Aerostar which had a delay going into Reverse in extreme cold. That tranny was always properly serviced, this time I added LG red and the delay going into Reverse when cold is gone.

IMO its one additive on a short list of my favorites that has some value.

People like LG but to be honest in a specific application like this, there is no substitute for fresh fluid. If you've got fresh, quality ATF+4, which is tightly-spec'ed, I just don't see the benefit of an additive. I'm not a huge fan of additives unless you're trying to massage an ailing issue and limping along before a repair.

If the Dodge AT is doing ok, I wouldn't use the additive. Some folks with properly maintained chryco ATs have good service from them (I am one). What year is the dodge? how many miles? not many problems I've heard of since 2001+...

M

just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: JMA13
I will use ATF+4 which they call for but was wondering if it is worth while to add Lubegard.

My personal opinion:
DO NOT screw up ATF+4 by putting some alleged magic fix-all in it. LubeGard may indeed be harmless as an additive for fluids that already meet the ATF+4 spec, but its probably killed more Chrysler torque convertor clutches than anything else because people mistakenly believe that it will somehow make Dexron fluids fully ATF+4 compliant. That alone has earned LubeGard a particular hatred from me, and I'm not bashful about saying that I wouldn't ever give that company a penny. Chrysler and Texaco kinda dropped the ball on ATF+3 with its high oxidation rates and short FM additive life, but they REALLY got it right with ATF+4. Its a superb fluid all on its own and SHOULD NOT BE SCREWED WITH.

^You just said that it was use of the wrong ATF that caused problems, not LubeGard Red in of itself on the other hand.

With ATF+4, FRESH FILLED, and on top as a PM dosage(1 bottle), I don't see how that will hurt a tranny with symptoms or neglected service.

I put 1 bottle of LG red in with a pan drop/filter replacement and fluid top-off recently before I sold my Stratus. That is only 5% LubeGard Red to ATF(mostly +4 now), or only 10% of he 'fresh' fluid.

Yes, mixed with the 'WRONG' fluid, it won't make anything equivalent to ATF+4!

It is a 2006 with 100,000 miles. No real issues. This is my 2nd filter and fluid change. On occasions there is a shudder but it is on rare occasions and not the norm. The shudder might not even be trans related.

100K is about when my '05 Caravan tranny bit the dust in spite of loving care, easy driving, and 30K fluid/filter changes. I was terribly disappointed.

JMA3, keep an eye on your throttle position sensor. One that is going bad can cause slipping/shudder-like tranny symptoms without throwing a code (this, from experience). Very difficult to diagnose - a tech. drove around with me for an hour with scanner attached so he could catch it happening.

I'm on the fence about lubegard red with the +4. I question whether these advanced tranny fluids would benefit. It would almost be like adding Lubegard to Amsoil or Redline fluids, and nobody would consider that.

I would not use the Platinum or the other Lubegard because they are friction modifiers. The red is not.

^I agree with dim.

Although, I must admit I have considered using Lubegard's Bio Tech Engine Protectant with Amsoil before.
27.gif

grin2.gif

Most other LubeGard Additives(besides the RED) are to be used in ATF's that *NEED* a "friction modifier" such as DexronII/III and Mercon. The RED can be used with any MFG's proprietary ATF but, probably isn't needed these days. The others such as HFM(Black Bottle) and the Platinum, IIRC, are to be used to help non-proprietary ATF's such as Dex/Merc.

And I could be mistaken as I haven't kept up on LubeGard's fluids lately but, most(except RED) were designed as "friction modifiers" for tranny shops so they wouldn't have to stock every MFG's ATFs and could add one of LubeGard's fluids to DexIII/Merc. To help tranny shops keep their in house costs lower!

Again, a little research on the International Lubracants Inc.(ILI) web site, the makers of LubeGard, will tell you all you need to know about their products. But, keep in mind that the web site is designed to sell their products.

Now, much of this has changed in the past decade as more and more ATFs on store shelves carry the "multi-vehicle" labeling and has made LubeGard a bit obsolete. But, this isn't to say that LubeGard is a bad additive, just not needed any longer since newer ATFs have become more available and some(not all) car dealers are reasonable on their prices for "MFG specific ATF's".

Oh, and I'd like to say...That adding LubeGard HFM or Plat to an already MFG specific ATF could in fact overdose the ATF with too much friction modifier, causing tranny slippage. This is why these additives are designed to be added only to(and I could be wrong) DexronIII/Mercon or the like ATF's, not added to MFG's proprietary ATFs or Multi-Vehicle ATFs, as these already have the proper amount of friction modifier in them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I agree with dim.
grin2.gif

dim: Stupidity, a lack of intelligence (Wikipedia)

I hope your abbreviation doesn't catch on!!!
cheers3.gif
Although, as I now have become eligible for senior discounts at a few establishments, it seems more and more that I am earning that "dim" recognition. Take care.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Oh, and I'd like to say...That adding LubeGard HFM or Plat to an already MFG specific ATF could in fact overdose the ATF with too much friction modifier, causing tranny slippage.

I agree completely. When a modern transmission is spec'd for a "special" fluid (like ATF+4) the fluid and the transmission are really both part of a system designed to work together in a very specific way. Dinking around by pouring magic goo in is much more likely to harm than help. Stick to PURE ATF+4.

Buy some Redline C+ and go that route if you want a stout Gr V ATF+4 equivalent.

Magic additive in a can is waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back