High mileage Chrysler/Dodge minivans w/3.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
+1 to occasional suspension squeaks, rattles, clunks.

One reason we really want to keep this vehicle in service is the self-leveling air suspension in back. You can load it to the gunwales and the rear just jacks up nice and level. Is this feature even offered on any of the new vans?

Not anymore, they are perfectly silent. Have one in my PT, no noise at all.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Yep. Anything with a 41TE in it makes that noise, even to this day. Van, Stratus, etc.

That "Ultradrive" transmission was one of the first truly adapting transmissions out there. Advanced for back then, but eclipsed today.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
+1 to occasional suspension squeaks, rattles, clunks.

One reason we really want to keep this vehicle in service is the self-leveling air suspension in back. You can load it to the gunwales and the rear just jacks up nice and level. Is this feature even offered on any of the new vans?

My 1990 cadillac deville had air shocks in the back. I know why you like them.... but our caravan does not have them. I didn't even know you could get them on a caravan!

Halfway through this trip. Burned 1/3 qt of PHM coming down here. Hammered it pretty hard going through the Smokies. Otherwise, it's running great. Good to see gas in the 3.30's everywhere.

Trip postscript:

Nearly 1800 miles roundtrip. Hammered hard both ways through the Smokies. Burned a total of 1/2 qt of oil (not bad AFAIC). Drove great in every way. Regarding the PHM, my engine drips seem to be somewhat better although not completely eliminated. I had changed oil right before this trip so, I will be leaving this oil in for a couple thousand more miles. We have two more 2,000 mile trips coming up this year and this van certainly seems up for the challenge. I will probably go ahead and get the gasket work done in the next few weeks.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Not anymore, they are perfectly silent. Have one in my PT, no noise at all.

I wonder when they made the change internally. Our '07 van with the 41TE still did the buzz-click.

Just a note. It's not an air suspension, though it is self-leveling. It's a Nivomat shock, made by Sachs. It's a self-contained hydraulic leveling system, and is operated by the movement of the shock itself. Overnight, the shock will bleed back down and the van will sit on the springs alone. But after a mile or two of driving, the Nivomat will 'pump' itself back up.

Additionally, the rear monoleaf spring is actually softer on vans with the Nivomat shocks. Later in the 4th generation production run, you could only get the rear Nivomats with the trailer tow prep group [TTPG]. So by ordering the TTPG, you actually got softer rear springs, which is a bit counter-intuitive.

I do believe they still offer that suspension today. Probably only on TTPG vans still.

Thanks for the clarification. You're right about the tow package. I got it even though I never tow anything because it gave a lot of upgrades for very low cost. I'm going on memory here (which is dangerous at my age) and I think it was $300 for the suspension, an extra tranny oil cooler and maybe bigger brakes. I'll have to see if I can find the sticker...

Yeah, it was dirt cheap for what you got. I don't think larger brakes were part of the package. The 3rd generation of those vans really needed help in the brake department, so it would have been nice. Maybe it did add the rear discs if it was on a van which would otherwise have had rear drums, but I'm sure discs were available on non-TTPG vans also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back