2003 Yamaha Zuma Scooter WONT START!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a 2003 Yamaha Zuma (I believe 50cc) scooter. It has been sitting awhile (about 2 years). I purchased it to fix it up as a hobby, but to also sell it for a profit afterwards. I would like to try to get it running. I ordered a new battery, spark plug & I am going to drain the old gas and 2 cycle oil and replace them. IS there anything else I can do to help it kick over? MAybe clean the carb? air filter? maybe run some lucas through it? Anyone know how to remove the carb and/or any other tips and tricks. I mean this thing is a 2cylce yamaha so they almost never die. It just needs to be revived. Thanks in advance.

Dont bet it will never die...
If it has set for 2 years, most likely it needs a carb cleaning. The pilot jet will most likely be plugged with varnish. If it starts and runs with the throttle open about 1/2 way, thats symptomatic of a plugged pilot. There is probably no need to drain the oil, I wouldn't waste my time on that. When you change the plug, check the compression. 2 strokes need compression to start and run. I'd have to check the specs, but I would be looking for 115-120 psi with a compression tester. You should find a service manual at mopedriders.org.

I found a service manual today. Im gonna just replace the oil. I need to drain the gas and replace it because it is probably the original gas sitting in there. Should I take the carb out and clean or soak it or should I just leave it in and spray it. ALso I cant checkt he compression without a compression tester. Heres the owners manual I found. http://www.scooterunderground.ca/knowledge/manuals/documents/BWS_Zuma_Service_Manual.pdf
So battery, fuse, spark plug, oil, fresh gas and carb cleaning?

I tried kick starting and nothing happened at all, but it still has the original gas old plug and a dead battery. I guess we will see after I replace the battery, gas, oil, and plug. I would like to clean the internals(carb) because I took the kick starter off and it was dirty and dry so I lubed it up and it works fine but doesnt turn the motor over.

So take the carb out and soak it in carb cleaner over night, fresh gas and oil and new plug along with the new battery . reassemble and im set. thanks

Your going to nee to disassemble the carb and likely need new gaskets for it. A 1 gallon can with a basket should work for you. Overnight sometimes isnt long enough. Try atleast 24 hours.Blow everything out. The carb and jets should be spotless when you reassemble it

Set the carb to factoy spec and you should be good

You will know if it needs a topend if you expierence hard hot starts. As stated before it needs compression to start. I think your headed in the right direction though

ok thanks. Im gonna take the carb out and soak it and then just give everything else a once over after work. I will post back to update the situation since you guys obviously know what your saying and I am more than willing to learn. Thanks again be back soon.

ok heres the update as of Today Sat. 7/16/11.
I flushed the oil and replaced, flushed gas and replaced, cleaned carb out, and installed a new plug. I hear compression when I kick start it, however it doesnt turn over. I removed the spark plug and sprayed some card clear in the hole and put the plug back and tried kick starting it again and it turned over. The engine ran for about 2-3 seconds and died. That leads me to believe it started because of the carb cleaner spray and that the motor is not getting gas.... am I right?
I clean the carb, changed oil and gas and plug. I sprayed the carb and the sprayed the fuel lines with carb cleaner etc. the only thing that I could not get off was the petcock under the tank. Anyone have anymore tips or suggestions? Atleast I know it fires I just gotta get it to turn over and stay on. Thanks guys.

ok guys I spent a few hours outside and I got the scooter to run. New gas, new oil, new plug, new battery, lubed up the kick starter. I cleaned the carb and the petcock and flushed the fuel lines. Scooter runs and idles fine, but if it puts out a lot of smoke. Is that normal?

Smoke will be less when warm. A 2 stroke will have some oil left in the bottom end of the engine after shutdown. It will smoke more on start up. There are smokeless oils available from several vendors.

What did you do different between the first update and the last one where it is now running?

When you got it running, you simply stated the same fixes you did earlier that didn't work.

I recently got my 2 stroke tiller out of storage after 3 years. it would run for a while on half choke then die after a while. I disassembled the carb and soaked it in gas for about an hour and use compressed air on it afterwards. New plug, new oil and fresh gas and it was running better but not all right. I just ran it like that and it got better with use. So if its running ok now, just run a gallon through it (100 miles) with some quality oil and maybe it'll be like new again.

I always wanted a 2 stroke Zuma. I really liked seeing Jason DiSalvo and other Yamaha factory riders on them at the AMA races.

btw, what it a Zuma that Vince souped up for Mikey that pulled wheelies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back