174k mile fuel filter cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Artem
I wouldn't get too worked up over one semi clogged fuel filter from one car with who knows what type of cheap gas bought from ghetto gas stations over the years with who knows what kind of junk falling info the filler neck.

I'm very careful with what goes into my gas tanks and I'm sure my 98 Camry's OEM fuel filter with 207k doesn't look like THAT.

I wouldn't start dropping gas tanks over one scary looking filter

Ghetto gas stations? Nose in the air much? Your filter is likely as bad or worse.

I probably over-service the fuel filter on my 01 Escape with 170k. Its easy to change so I have done it about every 15k. Still, I think about every 30k is a good rule of thumb for vehicles with serviceable filters. I have known of a number of cars that quit because people never changed the fuel filter.

^I believe my Honda manual recommends replacing the fuel filter every 30,000(an older civic with a serviceable filter mounted to the firewall in the engine bay).

After changing the one on the vehicle when purchased(230k on engine), I too noticed less of a 'strain/lug' in stop and go situations driving(previous fuel filter's time/mileage unknown). I only went 18k on that one, using various cleaners and replaced that one(AutoZone brand?) with a Purolator. Going to change per the manual.

Ok, I just filled up for the 5th time since the new filter. 335 miles on 18.1 gallons which comes to 18.5 mpg mixed driving. Roughly 70% highway 30% city.

Fuel filters in most vehicles are designed to be changed regularly. Obviously several factors influence the service interval... I usually change fuel filters every 15-30K miles depending on how much fuel the vehicle uses.

A fresh filter will net you better mileage than a clogged one or even a restricted one. And depending on how bad it was resticted, you may be able to fell a seat-of-the-pants difference as mentioned...

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Originally Posted By: Artem
I wouldn't get too worked up over one semi clogged fuel filter from one car with who knows what type of cheap gas bought from ghetto gas stations over the years with who knows what kind of junk falling info the filler neck.

I'm very careful with what goes into my gas tanks and I'm sure my 98 Camry's OEM fuel filter with 207k doesn't look like THAT.

I wouldn't start dropping gas tanks over one scary looking filter

Ghetto gas stations? Nose in the air much? Your filter is likely as bad or worse.

Relax, I dont think he meant anything buy the remark. God, we have become so politically correct it`s sickening.

Ghetto gas stations?

I've always gotten the vibe that Bitog isn't really an inner-city sorta crowd. So since I've spent the first half of my life in inner-city ghetto and the second half in Seattle's version of "the ghetto" (which really isn't much of a ghetto by any standard except in Seattle), I'll help you folks out: "ghetto" is a totally offensive term--simply because it's so passe. It's like saying "NOT" after an untrue statement, so 1990's... We much prefer "the 'hood" (even da 'hood is behind the times). If helicopters are flying about your crib at night, however, they're still "ghettobirds". Got it? Your welcome!

As far as buying gas in the 'hood, it's a mixed bag. The station near my house used to have police tape up on one of the 3 pumps every time I drove past, it was priced $.40-.50 higher than everywhere else, and the pumps looked in generally rough shape. Somehow, I'm going to guess that changing the fuel filters on the pumps wasn't a big priority. Then again, you really never know--there are reputable--and not reputable--business owners everywhere you go. That station now has new owners, and they've seemed to have cleaned the place up. The owner said he changed out the filters when he bought the place, and the price of gas is now the cheapest in town. Personally, I try to buy my gas at a (kinda)local feed co-op that's been in business forever. They have 100% gas, and seem to take their fuels seriously.

As far as the filter in the pic? All I can say is that I'm glad I have a serviceable fuel filter.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Ghetto gas stations?

I've always gotten the vibe that Bitog isn't really an inner-city sorta crowd. So since I've spent the first half of my life in inner-city ghetto and the second half in Seattle's version of "the ghetto" (which really isn't much of a ghetto by any standard except in Seattle), I'll help you folks out: "ghetto" is a totally offensive term--simply because it's so passe. It's like saying "NOT" after an untrue statement, so 1990's... We much prefer "the 'hood" (even da 'hood is behind the times). If helicopters are flying about your crib at night, however, they're still "ghettobirds". Got it? Your welcome!

As far as buying gas in the 'hood, it's a mixed bag. The station near my house used to have police tape up on one of the 3 pumps every time I drove past, it was priced $.40-.50 higher than everywhere else, and the pumps looked in generally rough shape. Somehow, I'm going to guess that changing the fuel filters on the pumps wasn't a big priority. Then again, you really never know--there are reputable--and not reputable--business owners everywhere you go. That station now has new owners, and they've seemed to have cleaned the place up. The owner said he changed out the filters when he bought the place, and the price of gas is now the cheapest in town. Personally, I try to buy my gas at a (kinda)local feed co-op that's been in business forever. They have 100% gas, and seem to take their fuels seriously.

As far as the filter in the pic? All I can say is that I'm glad I have a serviceable fuel filter.

I cant agree with you more! I`d really hate to see the sock or what ever it is in the tank of mine. And,I have no idea what the first owner used.

It would seem if the gas wasn't getting to the engine to burn due to a clogged filter, how cold it affect the MPG? The engine O2 sensor would pick up on the lean mixture and schedule more fuel to compensate. If it was too lean, beyond what the pump could flow, it would throw an OBD code.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I probably over-service the fuel filter on my 01 Escape with 170k. Its easy to change so I have done it about every 15k. Still, I think about every 30k is a good rule of thumb for vehicles with serviceable filters. I have known of a number of cars that quit because people never changed the fuel filter.

haha my old shop teacher changes his every oil change!

Very interesting and disheartening at the same time. Thanks for having the stones to cut open a metal container that had fuel in it.

Originally Posted By: GeoMan
It would seem if the gas wasn't getting to the engine to burn due to a clogged filter, how cold it affect the MPG? The engine O2 sensor would pick up on the lean mixture and schedule more fuel to compensate. If it was too lean, beyond what the pump could flow, it would throw an OBD code.

I agree with you in a fairly modern engine with OBD there is no way a clogged fuel filter could decrease MPGs, this is an urban myth.

My local Texaco gas station changes their 5u fuel filters ever XXX gallons of fuel throughput. I assume all major brands have a protocol to do the same. However; I suspect that off brand don't do this on a regular bases and some may even just punch a hold in their filters to save some dollars.

I'd be very interested in reading about the history of this Jeep.

Brand of fuel(s)
location(s)
any fuel additives used relatively consistent
vehicle used off-road, stream fording etc.

Any symptoms in the months prior to the filter change?

Thanks.

Was that filter casing metallic? If yes, then you do have the brass ones to take a Dremmel to cut the fuel filter

I could see clogged filters causing a drop in fuel pressure. That leads to slightly worse injector spray pattern, etc, so fueling could be a bit inconsistent, leading to a small mpg drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back