UOA comparison of two modern day TT V6 engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tell a lot - latent defects, fuel dilution rates (key in DI turbo engines), etc.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
BTW, that Ford doesn't call for 5W-20 does it? I know, I know, I'm not trying to step back into the past, but there's no way I'd run 5W-20 in a twin turbo V6 pushing over 350 horsepower. But, that's because there's no way I could baby a car like that. I'm sure if you drive like a grandma, everything will be ok, and it will never see over 220 horsepower, more than likely, but if I was a guy putting my foot down, letting those turbos spool and RPM wind, I'd have to have a good, hard to shear oil such as GC 0W-30, or M1 0W-40 (which is known to shear but only down to a thick 30 weight).

I mostly agree with you honestly. BUT I have been hearing more stories about vehicles engines not acting happy when owners stray from the factory recommended oils - which is what prompted my earlier question about whether this is a trend people are seeing. That is thinner oils and/or viscosity shearing out of spec quickly.

Granted this is from a dealership mechanic so take with a potential grain of salt. But he was telling me the new Nissan 370Z calls for some 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil (honestly can't remember other than I remember thinking it was WAY thin) and he said people who have tried to use thicker oils end up with head/valve train damage because the engine is designed SO tightly around the thinner oil that parts of the engine don't get lubricated appropriately with thicker oils
21.gif

Overall even though it makes a nice chunk of power I am not to worried since my wife primarily drives it and she is not very hard on the throttle at all. Even if it were my car I probably wouldn't worry to much since I figure that it can tow up to 4500lbs and it sounds like Ford has plans to up the power to 400hp+ in the near future with the same engine. So I think they are currently really running it at far less than what it can do and make for hp.

Just wanted to give an update - 1 year later 15,000 miles later here is a follow up UOA. I basically replaced the oil every 3000 miles with MotorCraft 5w-20 synthetic blend. One note to was this was on the original air filter (15,000 mile on it) and I replaced the air filter with this oil change.

5868138873_8c7d64a704_b.jpg

Last edited:
It is a brand new engine what else can be expected UOAs on brand new engines are somewhat of a waste especially with the short first "good " oil change.

Silicon and insols. are high for the miles, and wear is way higher than it should be for 3k.

Ford engines, in general, are really easy on oil, and they 'settle down' quick - I'd be very concerned with these results.

Why does it spec 5w-20 when the same engine in the f-150 specs 5w-30 (not sure about the SHO)?

Originally Posted By: davidm_sh
Just wanted to give an update - 1 year later 15,000 miles later here is a follow up UOA. I basically replaced the oil every 3000 miles with MotorCraft 5w-20 synthetic blend. One note to was this was on the original air filter (15,000 mile on it) and I replaced the air filter with this oil change.

5868138873_8c7d64a704_b.jpg

I wonder if the high insolubles are due to the new air filter? On my EB engine, I have swapped the air filter 2x so far. Once to an aftermarket Fram then back to an OEM Motorcraft. The Motorcraft "fit" much more tighly in the case when I put the lid down than the Fram part did. I suspect that the Fram filter was not sealing as well as the Motorcraft filter. Just a thought.

Thanks for posting these UOA's. I'm considering buying a F-150 with the EB engine. Yours looks like it's wearing in nicely so far, no oil consumption, and fuel dilution appears acceptable (Mn 5ppm is from fuel though).

It is interesting that Ford recommends 5W-30 for the F-150 instead of 5W-20. I've seen this before with truck manufacturers though. They want you to use higher viscosity for towing/heavy workload operations it seems. It used to be that oil viscosity recommendations were purely based on outside air temps. Now, they seem to be based on C.A.F.E. standards alone. I wish the manufacturers would be more honest about this topic and allow customers to make intelligent decisions instead of taking a hard line recommendation for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Thanks for posting these UOA's. I'm considering buying a F-150 with the EB engine. Yours looks like it's wearing in nicely so far, no oil consumption, and fuel dilution appears acceptable (Mn 5ppm is from fuel though).

It is interesting that Ford recommends 5W-30 for the F-150 instead of 5W-20. I've seen this before with truck manufacturers though. They want you to use higher viscosity for towing/heavy workload operations it seems. It used to be that oil viscosity recommendations were purely based on outside air temps. Now, they seem to be based on C.A.F.E. standards alone. I wish the manufacturers would be more honest about this topic and allow customers to make intelligent decisions instead of taking a hard line recommendation for warranty purposes.

+1
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back