Oil for a 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 4 door model with the V6. Does it take 5-20 and what is the capacity of the sump? Thanks in advance. This is my sons ride.

Last edited:
You can download the manual off the Jeep website. From memory though I'd like to say 5w20 and a 6 quart sump.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
You can download the manual off the Jeep website. From memory though I'd like to say 5w20 and a 6 quart sump.

Per Amsoil site 5w20 6.1 qt.

I would normally say "Don't run 5w-20 in that engine!" but a guy at work has a quad-cab Dakota with a 5.3L Hemi and he hauls heavy with it every single day. He's used nothing but 5w-20 Pennzoil dino and his truck seems to be doing just fine.

My son got in this evening from Gainesville, Fl. and he did say it was 5-20 with a 6 qt sump. It has 3000 miles so he wants to change oil while he is here. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Originally the 3.8 pushrod V6 was designed to run 5w30/10w30 back when it was introduced in the 80s. The engine has not changed, 5w20 is just for CAFE. Run what you like, just an fyi.

He wants to change his oil while he's with you so that you will pay for it ? Smart boy !!!

Use xW20 with confident, if I'm using xW20 in E430 (spec'd oil is M1 0W40 or GC) without problem, Wrangler should have no problem with spec'd oil. Actually, my E430 likes xW20 better than M1 0W40, it is much quieter and rev much easier with MPG improved by about 3-5%.

You like M1, there is no reason for not using M1 0W20 in Wrangler engine.

I don't think that 3.8 will care if it has 5W20, 5W30, or 10W30. Like chevman said, they run fine either way. However, you may want to use 5W20 for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
He wants to change his oil while he's with you so that you will pay for it ? Smart boy !!!

Use xW20 with confident, if I'm using xW20 in E430 (spec'd oil is M1 0W40 or GC) without problem, Wrangler should have no problem with spec'd oil. Actually, my E430 likes xW20 better than M1 0W40, it is much quieter and rev much easier with MPG improved by about 3-5%.

You like M1, there is no reason for not using M1 0W20 in Wrangler engine.

With the money he makes he can afford the oil. It's a father son thing. Like you, I really like the 0-20AFE in the Duratechs, so we may just go with the 0-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back