Any harm in running the engine with 1 qt low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove about 300 miles with my engine 1 qt low on oil. I did not realize it was low. Could that have caused any harm? I drove on the turpike and hit high RPMs here and there.
smirk.gif

It is an LS3. I notice a tick now.. Not sure if it has always been there or if it is in my head. I also ran out of gas a few weeks ago, not sure if that caused the tick as well.

1 qt below the low line on the dipstick? Not the best but it has happened. How many quarts left and how hard was it driven like this?

shoudn't be a problem as long as you don't intend to run it like that for thousands of miles. You have some cushion because every engine uses a little oil over a period of time.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
1 qt below the low line on the dipstick? Not the best but it has happened. How many quarts left and how hard was it driven like this?

Oil change requires 8 quarts. I had 7 quarts. I hit 5000-6000 RPMs a couple times. I don't believe I red lined at all.

On the dipstick there is 3 dots. It was at the lowest dot. The "low oil" sensor never popped up. So I assume it was never Too low..

You'll be fine. Just keep an eye on the oil level, and top up if possible before you're down a qt.

No, shouldn't hurt. But instead of worrying about it, I hope you've already topped-off by now. Just don't drive further than necessary before adding a quart.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
My father always said that it is better having oil level slightly low than overfilled?

I was once told that lowish oil gives better MPG and ran entire OCI midway between low and high. This is exactly when the oil burning problem started. Never again.

You were still in the range of accepted oil level , per the mfr.

Not my best choice, but everything should be OK - it really should be.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
7 out of 8 quarts isn't a problem like 2.5 out of 3.5 quarts would be!

Very true, still most any passenger car engine will be fully lubricated with two quarts or less in the pan, plus the amount held by the filter... My '07 Grand Marquis has been a quart low since the last change in Nov, going to add the missing quart and head out this coming weekend...

BTW this change has less than 3K, with maybe 2% short trip, going to run it to 5K...

Originally Posted By: peterdes

Oil change requires 8 quarts. I had 7 quarts. I hit 5000-6000 RPMs a couple times. I don't believe I red lined at all.

On the dipstick there is 3 dots. It was at the lowest dot. The "low oil" sensor never popped up. So I assume it was never Too low..

Zero concerns since it was on the stick. Could of ran it to redline as much as you wanted.

peterdes Oil change requires 8 quarts. I had 7 quarts. I hit 5000-6000 RPMs a couple times. I don't believe I red lined at all. [/quote said:
It should make a little more power at high RPM with the oil level further below the crank (depending on oil pan layout).

A windage tray & crank scraper is worth about 20+ HP at 6,000 RPM in a 3.5" stroke V-8.

Originally Posted By: peterdes

That indi ates the bottom of the operating range. You were still in it. Add the oil and you should be fine... I have had ars that called for 5 qts and if I used 5 qts. That is where the level was on the stick. Right at the bottom of the range. You should be A- OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back