Castrol Syntec 5-50 3270 mi 97 Jeep ZJ 5.2L V-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil analysis showed high nickel content about 61K miles ago and critical content now, but nothing else seems abnormal to me. Would anyone have an idea what components may be plated with nickel and be wearing and what kind of engine symptoms may develop? I'd greatly appreciate any explanation, as it is worrying and puzzling me.

I've been using Fram HM series filters and the 8 oz. size of Greased Lightning Engine Treatment every oil change, I doubt there is nickel in the additives but perhaps it is possible.
Code:

OIL Castrol Syntec 5-50

MILES IN USE 3.27k 2.05k

MILES 251.6k 190.0k

SAMPLE TAKEN 05/25/11 02/22/08

ALUMINUM 1 2

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 6 4

COPPER 2 2

LEAD 2 2

TIN 1 0

MOLYBDENUM 88 92

NICKEL 24 11

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 17 22

SILICON 7 7

SODIUM 9 7

CALCIUM 2671 3056

MAGNESIUM 8 15

PHOSPHORUS 587 797

ZINC 737 836

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES

WATER

FLASHPOINT ºF

SUS VIS 210ºF

cSt @ 212ºF 18.4 19.0

Last edited:
I found a 1977 Popular Science or Popular Mechanics article that said finding of nickel in the oil by itself indicates wear of nickel plated engine valve stems. Does anybody know if 97 Jeep V-8 engines used nickel plated valve stems or not?

Wear metals all look good except for nickel in this uoa . Like what Nate said the PTFE in greased lightning additive is pointless even potentially harmful. As far as the Fram HM filter it is a gimmick filter , I personally wouldn't trust Fram to know when to add additives to my oil as it ages,thats what I trust Mobil to do. Much better filters on the market like Wix or Purolator for the same $ but better quality. And in your climate and in a 5.2 wouldnt a 40 wt oil be better for that motor?

Buy three standard filters. Even Fram is fine. Although I would likely buy Purolator Classic.

Buy 15 Quarts of standard 10W30 Conventional Oil (SM or SN rated). Supertech 10W30 from WalMart is fine.

DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES!

Run the first fill and filter 50 miles and change.
Run the second fill and filter 500 miles and sample during change.
Nickel should be in the low single digits.

If nickel is in the low single digits then you can decide what oil to run. Im somewhat doubtful of a 5.2L Magnum needing anything over 10W30.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! I've been waiting for a UOA on this oil for a while, as it's been recommended for my two old cars. If there are other 5w-50 UOAs posted which I've not found, let me know please.

The low zinc levels concern me for my old flat tappet engines.

Several above have stated no additives, so for my application I ask is there a recommended specific zinc additive?

The only one I've heard of is Rislone Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment.

Obviously this Greased Lightening did nothing to elevate zinc levels.

I use ZDDP Maxx. It is very concentrated and comes in 2oz bottles. Even a half a bottle will boost 6qts by 580ppm phosphorus and zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back