Drilling in brick/mortar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to hang some outdoor speakers. It'll require drilling in either brick or mortar. From what I've read, it's easier/better to drill holes in mortar and not in the brick itself. Is this right?

Also, is a hammer drill better for this type of job? Proper masonry drill bit, too, of course...

Thanks!

I don't know if it is better to do so in brick or mortar. Big enough lag shield/hole and it may not matter.

Mortar is replaceable, brick not as easy... But brick is likely more solid with time, while mortar will erode/weaken potentially.

Yes, hammer drill makes things easy.

With a hammer drill, masonry bit, and that small of a hole diameter it'll be butter either way. What are you talkin, 3/8" or so?

Just get a masonry bit and go into the brick itself. Use a corded drill if you have one. Hammer drill may be overkill but it certainly would work.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
With a hammer drill, masonry bit, and that small of a hole diameter it'll be butter either way. What are you talkin, 3/8" or so?

I've got a 5/16" masonry bit from one of my previous jobs, so I'm hoping to just use this. I just need to pick up some masonry anchors. Each speaker weighs about 10lbs and will be supported by 2 screws/anchors. Hopefully that's enough.

Be sure that the brick you have is real brick and not just brick veneer. That will determine exactly what anchor you use.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How would I determine that? By drilling in it first?

Probably the only way unless you have previous knowledge. Brick veneer is only about 1/2"-3/4" thick.

Some bricks are solid, others have holes in them.

10 lbs. is not too heavy. Also consider Tap Con screws...you will need to drill a much smaller diameter hole. which can be patched easier if removed.

Get a masonry bit, a cordless drill so you don't electrocute yourself, and a spray bottle filled with water. As you drill just spray the tip of the bit lightly with water, it will cool the bit, keep dust down, and act as a crude lube. You don't have to go nuts with the water. I'd opt for drilling the brick. A hammer drill is a plus.

So, what are the risks of ending up with a cracked brick as a result of this drilling? Should I try drilling a small pilot hole first and then a larger target hole? Does it matter?

As for tapcons, I've used them before... I've got mixed feelings about them.

FYI, I've got a 7 Amp Bosch Hammer Drill that I can use for this job.

I also have a 14.4V cordless drill. I used it for drilling in concrete in the past and it was just painful and took too long. Not sure if drilling in brick is any easier...

Anytime you drill brick you run the risk of breaking a brick, drilling mortar has its own risks. I've seen mortar fall out from drilling, then have to be repointed, no big deal. I've been lucky and take my time doing it. A fresh bit, and water spray hasn't let me down. You could pilot a small hole and work up in size, it depends how big a hole you need. Anything up to 5/16" I'd do in one pass.

Having lived in three brick homes and done lots of outdoor mountings, I always opt for mortar drilling first. Like said, it's a LOT easier and less noticeable to spooge some more mortar (or even calk) in the joint if needed than try to replace or patch up a brick.

I have a cheap hammer drill and a good set of masonry bits. All I ever use is Tapcon screws afterwards. They're the best thing since sliced bread. Wait 'till you know which size Tapcon you need because each size Tapcon will tell you which diameter an depth masonry drill you need.

tapcon-flat.jpg

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back