Home Defense Caliber, 9mm vs .45 POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Too bad there is no such thing as stopping power.

I'm not sure if you are being humerous, or are one of the most ignorant people on the planet. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

My apologies for my unwarranted comment. It was the New Belgium Fat Tire talking.

Stopping power may not be used by the FBI, but it is still a common term among the shooting community. If you believed I was using the term in the text of the capacity of a single pistol round to stop someone in their tracks by either immediate incapacitation or by physically throwing them backward, I see your point.

Its all good. Yes, that is what I thought you were talking about; that is what I associate that term with.
11.gif

How much time will you have to practice? This is key. At first you should hit the range once a week, if not 2 or 3 times. You want to know this gun as if your life depends on it. Do this for about 3 months and then you can back off to twice a month.

Shotguns are good if you have the ability to wield them in close quarters AND you have the right load. Bird shot is not as effective as people assume.

As for the poll, .45ACP any day of the week. I have 3 1911's but my close by gun is an FN-P 45 with light. That gun does not feel any more jumpy than my 9mm or 40S&W and certainly not my .357SIG. More of a slow push.

But again take a class, then practice a BUNCH and take another class.

My apologies for my unwarranted comment. It was the New Belgium Fat Tire talking.

Stopping power may not be used by the FBI, but it is still a common term among the shooting community. If you believed I was using the term in the text of the capacity of a single pistol round to stop someone in their tracks by either immediate incapacitation or by physically throwing them backward, I see your point.

All the Call of Duty fanboys can tell you about stopping power. Aside from being an a selectable player trait the difference between an AK and an M4 is obvious in terms of penetration and "stopping power." But thats just a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
That gun does not feel any more jumpy than my 9mm or 40S&W and certainly not my .357SIG. More of a slow push.

I'll agree with this. 9mm has a sharp, light recoil. .45 ACP has a gradual, light recoil. 40 S&W has a sharp, moderate recoil. I prefer target shooting 45 over 40 and 9mm.

I would go with 9mm because of accuracy, cheaper to practice, and I believe hitting the target is way more important that hole size especially when talking about hand guns. Plus the 9mm will usually have more rounds. Penetration is very important and when most ER docs are asked about saving someone its the penetration that usually kills not the size of the hole. I work in an ICU and have talked to surgeons regarding this. However I like shotguns! And I like the saying that handguns are only used to fight your way to your long guns!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
I would go with 9mm because of accuracy, cheaper to practice, and I believe hitting the target is way more important that hole size especially when talking about hand guns. Plus the 9mm will usually have more rounds. Penetration is very important and when most ER docs are asked about saving someone its the penetration that usually kills not the size of the hole. I work in an ICU and have talked to surgeons regarding this. However I like shotguns! And I like the saying that handguns are only used to fight your way to your long guns!
Except I have my Smith J frame in my pocket almost 24/7. The rifles are always too far out of reach. I couldn't imagine packing a rifle or shotgun around with me when running around town doing my duties.

I prefer 9mm because it is easier to shoot, has more rounds, and modern HP ammo has really closed the gap in performance between 9mm vs. .45ACP.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Except I have my Smith J frame in my pocket almost 24/7. The rifles are always too far out of reach. I couldn't imagine packing a rifle or shotgun around with me when running around town doing my duties.

642? I have one and its a great pocket gun. I totally agree but in the house its a little different story.

I've done quite a bit of research on terminal ballistics.

Handguns do not have the capability to introduce hydrostatic shock due to a lack of kinetic energy. 4-5-6 inches just isnt enough space to gain the kinetic energy you get out of 16-20 inch barrel of a rifle.

9mm and .45 are very close as far as the idea of terminal ballistics is concerned.

Sure hollow points help. But with a pistol, regardless of the caliber, you are punching a hole. Much like a large diameter screwdriver with some crush and stretch around the edges. If you don't hit something important it won't stop the individual you are trying to stop.
Practice will save your life with a handgun. Regardless of caliber this is why practice is so important. A fraction of an ounce in projectile weight, or a fraction of a centimeter in diameter, will not make that projectile more or less effective if it does not strike an important area of an aggressor.

High velocity cartridges have been around since WWI. Their ability to stop a motivated aggressor is well documented. If you want to definitively stop an aggressor, a handgun is handy, but you really need a rifle.
Handguns just don't have the ability to develop enough kinetic energy needed to effectively stop a human being immediately.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Handguns just don't have the ability to develop enough kinetic energy needed to effectively stop a human being immediately.

44 Magnum.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
I prefer 9mm because it is easier to shoot, has more rounds, and modern HP ammo has really closed the gap in performance between 9mm vs. .45ACP.

Very well said! Same for me: 9mm with 18rds of Federal 115gr +P+ HP.

During the years I have noticed a tendency in what I own and that is that I have sold most of my large caliber weapons - the last to go was a Kimber Raptor II in .45 ACP.

What handguns I have left are a Sig Sauer P226 and a Browning Hi-Power Mk III. Those are what I have been trained to shoot effectively by the Army and local PD and I see no problem in the 9 mm caliber.

Generic photo from the net:

Image250.jpg

John M. Browning was a genious of a man. First he designed the 1911 and it's predecessors and then started the better design ie. Hi-Power.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
For home, its the .45 or the shotgun. when i travel on the highway 9mm for the capacity. The .380 when i want to carry concealed.
Excellent posting!!! Different tools for different jobs.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

642? I have one and its a great pocket gun. I totally agree but in the house its a little different story.
Yep, And I will have to agree with all of the negatives the tactical will say about the J frame. But it is always with me " as possible "

I am 100% confident that I will be just as effective using a 9mm to defend myself as I would with a 45. In fact, I would probably be more effective, since I have a lot more ammo in my gun, and I can fire it very quickly and accurately.

That said, my home defense weapons are several 12ga shotguns with 00 buck and a 7.62x39 semi-auto rifle with 30 rounds in the mag.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
How many people here have needed to use their guns at home to defend themselves?

Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have.

I did use a '98 Autococker to "discourage" a would be burglar. Back when I still competed in tournaments. I had just got back from a tournament. It had been 100°+ outside and I was exhausted. Laying on the floor trying to muster the energy to get up and clean and store my equipment. He pulled the weatherstripping away from my apartment window pane and reached in and opened the window.
I turned on the hopper, opened the valve and laid in a stream of yellow all-star on him.
He screamed and left.
The cops were not happy. They said that his "gang" would come back and shoot me with real guns for my home defense.
They never did, but I was happy to have my .38 just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back