UNDERSIZED oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

OK--so we all know there is a lot of discussion on oversized filters. Well, my 2010 Mazda 3's factory filter is longer than the replacements including the Mazda filters I have bought at the dealer. Interesting to note the factory filter was a FoMoCo. It is clearly longer than these other 2. I have also used Wix, Motorcraft FL90S and Mazda dealer (I didn't say OE, because the Mazda are different) filters on it and they are all the same size/length. So, is the factory oil capacity of 4.5 quarts with the factory filter or the smaller replacement ones? Plus the FoMoCo filter has a sturdier feel to the can than the others.

I am having problems with the photo uploading, will do it later.
SM

Last edited:
The factory filters are typically different than the replacement filters from the dealership.

I wouldn't worry about it. Might have a *SLIGHT* change in oil pressure, and it probably holds a tiny bit less. The filter element size is more important. The dealer wouldn't be selling them if they weren't safe to use.

Good topic. I recently had the oil in my F150 changed at a Valvoline quick lube as it was cheap and came with a free car wash. I got home and noticed that oil filter was a bit smaller than any I had ever seen in the 13 years of owning my truck.

It was a Valvoline brand filter so I wrote down the type number and searched the Internet. Nothing! I was a concerned so I called Valvoline and finally got a number for what is probably their jobber hotline as the first rep did not have any answers.

I played dumb and just said I found this filter laying around and wanted to know what it fit. They looked it up and said something like it could fit any of 130 applications. I then said can you check if one of them is a V6 F150 and they confirmed it was correct.

In my particular situation with Valvoline I came up with two conclusions. 1. It's a quick lube so a smaller filter means more profit for them since they are using less oil. 2. Typical cost-cutting measure in that if you can make universal items that fit many applications you cut down on inventory and manufacturing costs.

I don't like it so I decided to just pace myself better so that I can always do my own oil changes with the filters I prefer.

Originally Posted By: JDD
Interesting to note the factory filter was a FoMoCo.

With the collaboration between Ford & Mazda, no surprise there.

Originally Posted By: TXMXTruck
In my particular situation with Valvoline I came up with two conclusions. 1. It's a quick lube so a smaller filter means more profit for them since they are using less oil. 2. Typical cost-cutting measure in that if you can make universal items that fit many applications you cut down on inventory and manufacturing costs.

3. And those filters make it easier to ge into some hard to reach places.

The new PH 8A filters in Fram displays are all the smaller (PH43?) size.
I expect the other large filters PH 25,30 etc., will also be 'downsized' soon if that's not already in the works.

The thing that bugs me with smaller filters is that when I put the listed 4.5 quarts in, I am over the upper line on the dipstick by about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Nothing to be stressed about, I know, but it just bugs me. Plus, Mazda cable dipsticks are the absolute worst to read anyway. No cross hatching, just a metal end with an indent with 2 lines on it and the oil runs between the 2 lines so you have to pull it out and quickly go out in the sun to read it. Anyone with the mazda 2.0 will know what I am talking about.

Originally Posted By: JDD
The thing that bugs me with smaller filters is that when I put the listed 4.5 quarts in, I am over the upper line on the dipstick by about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch.

The dipstick is only a guide...they are inaccurate a lot of the time.

Case in point, the dipstick in a Cummins is supposed to show full at 11 quarts in the crankcase...the low level is 9 quarts. It takes me 13 quarts in the crankcase (14 quarts total) to get to the full mark on the dipstick. This is a known issue with the Cummins, some read low, some read high, and some are dead on...I would expect a similar circumstance in all the other manufacturers.

Does it make a difference? Probably not since each engine has a tolerance for its oil level.

Possibly the smaller filter has better media and may have more media than a larger can. Without some date, we can draw on meaningful concluding other than the larger can can hold slightly more oil.

At Tire Kingdom, we use Pennzoil filters except in special applications.

They shrunk every filter they could. I was given multiple reasons:
1. It speeds up installation. My experience shows that in some vehicles, this is true.
2. They wanted to lower the environmental impact. This sounds to me like they just want to use less material to build the one item in other words, THEY ARE BEING CHEAP.

Also, they merged applications. The fat MOPAR replacement filter and thin replacement MOPAR filter are listed the same in the catalog. They are putting thin filters on engines with fat filters.

Also, there is a filter called the PZ-173 which is made to replace a Motorcraft 820. It is about as wide as a Motorcraft 400.

Another filter is designed to replace the Motorcraft FL1A. It is only slightly wider than a Motorcraft 400.

The PZ-173 (aka Perofmax PO-173, Quaker State QS173, and Valvoline VO-105) are meant to replace the FL-500S, but because the FL-500S filter fits on a FL-820S application, that's what is usually used. They don't even make the older FL-820S sized PZ-42 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back