Mobil 1 15w-50 & 09 1200 Sportster...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but this is my first post here and I don't know how to post a pdf, but here is basically what my report states...
Cycle is 09 xl1200C HD Sportster, Oil is Mobil 1 15w-50 (Syn.), Filter is HD chrome Std. HD Sportster filter (30 or 40 Micron...???)
With 11,200 mi. on the bike, and 3,100 mi. on the oil & filter...
I do run the bike fairly good in the mountain blacktops, don't lug it around even though I am an older rider...

What do you think, would the extra copper, lead & tin be from bronze valve guides, some bushings, or what...???
Should I buy the expensive extended warranty in Aug. when my 2 yr. factory warranty expires...???

As per Blackstone Labs...
"The extra copper, lead, and tin likely show bronze part wear, but since this is the first sample, we are
not going to call the extra metal a problem. Universal averages show typical wear for a Harley Davidson
1,200cc engine after about 2,200 miles on the oil. You ran your oil out to 3,100 miles, but a longer run isn't
typically to blame for added metal (except iron). The slightly low viscosity was probably not a contributing
factor either. The TBN was 6.5, showing plenty of active additive remaining. A TBN is low at 1.0. Try 3,000
miles again next and then check back."

Copper 54,
Univ. Avg. 17

Lead- 8,
Universal. Avg.- 3

Tin- 13,
Univ. Avg.- 1

The additives...??? Were good I guess...
Phosphorus- 912
Zinc- 1174

The Viscosity...???
SUS Viscosity @ 210*F 76.9
Should be 78-95

cSt Viscosity @ 100*C 14.75
Should be 15-19.4

Thanks and have a good one...retat

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Why are you running a non-motorcycle non-correct viscosity oil in your Harley and probably voided your factory warranty?

Thanks for your very informative reply...
But I will reply, because I have that oil on hand and it is basically the same as the 4 cycle motorcycle oil, except for the clutch stuff (my clutch don't run in the oil) & 5 points thinner on start up...

Last edited:
Most folks on here suscribe to the idea that while under warranty, use an oil that meets the required specifications.
Why take the chance of being denied coverage?

That said, I don't think the oil you used is likely to ruin your engine either.

I believe you should run the recommended oil type for the next interval, and repeat the analysis to look for a change or to see if the last run was an anomaly. Also, many on here suggest that the UOA is not particularly valuable by itself without a partical count test with oil filter wash out.

This forum is usually quick to make suggestions - must be a busy week.

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks paulswagelock, I agree, and do now have HD Syn3 on the shelf and plan on going back to it...
I kinda question the effectiveness of the Std. Sportster filter 63796-77A (30 micron) but as I understand the Sportster needs the unrestricted flow more than the extra cleanliness of the oil...
Thanks and have a good one...retat...

That Mobil 1 15W-50 oil is a favorite of many Harley-Davidson owners. That particular oil did not cause the elevated counts. There are a few used oil analysis on this forum with the M1 15W-50 and it performs well.

The Genuine Harley oil filter for your Sportster will also give you good service.

It's interesting to note... that in all of the used oil analysis results that I've looked at, over the years... that the oil filter seemed to make no discernable difference in the particulate count.

If there is something going on in there - it is not caused by the use of the Mobil 1 15W-50 oil.

Run another sample and compare the two. Might want to try another lab.... just sayin'.

Last edited:
This is Mobil 1's reply to the question of running Mobil 1 15w-50 in a motorcycle--
Answer:
"You can run Mobil 1 15W-50, but if you have a motorcycle with a common sump then you have to worry about transmission clutch performance. Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specially designed to provide good engine protection while also optimizing friction performance so that clutch slippage is controlled."
Have a good one...retat

Yes, great for the crankcase but don't use it in your transmission. Sportsters have a shared transmission/primary chaincase. Your clutch is in the primary chain case. Also - DO NOT use gear oil in the shared transmission/primary. Gear oil sometimes is not kind to yellow metals and your stator is in there (copper windings).

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Yes, great for the crankcase but don't use it in your transmission. Sportsters have a shared transmission/primary chaincase. Your clutch is in the primary chain case. Also - DO NOT use gear oil in the shared transmission/primary. Gear oil sometimes is not kind to yellow metals and your stator is in there (copper windings).

I use the HD Formula + in the primary & Mobil 1 15w-50 in the engine only...
Thanks and have a good one...retat...

Originally Posted By: retat
This is Mobil 1's reply to the question of running Mobil 1 15w-50 in a motorcycle--
Answer:
"You can run Mobil 1 15W-50, but if you have a motorcycle with a common sump then you have to worry about transmission clutch performance. Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specially designed to provide good engine protection while also optimizing friction performance so that clutch slippage is controlled."
Have a good one...retat

We've run M1 15/50 in our suzuki's and Honda's on occasion.....with absolutely no I'll effects to the clutch performance. 80ppm of moly isn't going to negatively affect the clutch.....I suspect no one would see an issue until you got to over 300ppm of moly.

I have two cases of this oil and will use it with confidence throughout 2011 in all my bikes.

Last edited:
This is from limited experience, so take this with a grain of salt. If you look at the Big Twin UOAs, it does appear that wear metals are up early in the Engines life, and maybe.... big strecth here, it takes 20k for the numbers to fall off.

I had a Syn3 sample at 5k that had copper around 60. I never sampled again until 25k and 30k. Those samples were in the single digits.

You can either keep sampling, or just trust that it will settle down when fully broken in.

On my current ride, I am going to do the trust thing and wait until 25k and take a peek then. It's not like you are going to convince Harley to repair your engine just based on UOAs anyway.

I run M1 15w-50 in my 2000 SV650 since 14,000 miles. now at 20k, no clutch problems, and I haven't had an analysis but it runs great on it., and I beat the [censored] out of it.

I wouldn't worry about it yet, keep pulling samples and get a trend.

Probably break in wear + you are running it too far. Try 2,000 and save th uoa money.

Originally Posted By: retat
Answer:
Have a good one...retat

This is Mobil's way of saying "spend more money on our 'motorcycle' product"

15w50 will be fine on all your fill holes on your bike.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

This is Mobil's way of saying "spend more money on our 'motorcycle' product"

15w50 will be fine on all your fill holes on your bike.

confused2.gif

Awful advice! For the engine, yes... 15w50 will be fine. For a sportster trasmission/primary (or any motorcycle with a shared sump), I most certainly wouldn't recommend pouring in a standard engine oil as they typically aren't formulated with gear operation in mind. The JASO-MA spec is what you would want to look for. The Mobil 1 v-twin carries it, 15w50 does NOT. And no, it's NOT a marketing gimmick. If you don't want to spend an arm & a leg, Harley Formula+ is spec'd for our sportsters & is what I use... no issues to report. In fact, I think it shifts better than the Amsoil Motorcycle 20w50 that I was using (similar to mobil 1 v-twin).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CaspianM
How is MA rating makes it better for gears? Did you mean clutch?

Yes sorry, thx for the correction. Wet clutch operation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back