The reality of having a daily driven "fast" car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the many people on the board who have or have had a mix of fast and slow cars in their fleets, especially daily drivers as opposed to weekend cars:

Given that most cars these days -- even economy cars -- are "fast enough" (indeed in many cases new economy cars are just as fast or faster than many sports cars were in the 70s and 80s), I think it's safe to say that many cars, especially sporty ones, have more power than anyone really needs for daily driving. This topic has been discussed at length here in the past and I'm not trying to rehash that here.

Despite these facts I've been on a kick for a while now wanting to replace my car with a faster one. I've asked tons of questions on this topic already but here's another, just looking for anecdotes and experience here. My wife thinks that if I trade in my [perfectly good] economy car for a fast car, I'd get used to it quickly, get bored with the power, and then regret spending the money to buy the car and the increased ongoing costs (fuel, tires, insurance would be more expensive). Specifically what I'm after is quicker acceleration. I'm not a speeder and could care less about top speed, but I love a good shove back in the seat.

I admit that this is a possibility. Now, I do drive spiritedly and notice the power and suspension/handling limitations of my current car sometimes, especially on twisty roads. I'm sure I would get more entertainment out of the sorts of cars I'm considering. The extra expense isn't a problem for me, but I would hate to "get used to it" and then just start feeling like the extra money isn't getting me anything other than a plain old car.

So, BITOGers who have gone from a slower, more appliance-like car to a faster one, how long did it take for the excitement to wear off? Did you ever come to regret the decision?

for me, the thrill never wears off. period. it's almost a game to me - I'll normally drive it very gently (kinda like knowing martial arts... you have fun just knowing you have the power when you want it.....) in my case it's a Dodge 5.7L Hemi. very powerful. the torque just does not stop.

My S2000 is both fast and fun to drive daily with top down all year long. I had it for more than 7 years and not tired of it yet.

Yes, you do get used to the new power. We have had our Acura TL for three and a half years now, and the "new" feeling lasted for maybe half that time. But you simply incorporate it into your life - both the power and the expense becomes the "new normal".

You don't regret the expenditure, it becomes the new floor. Let me give an analogy, also related to the car. It has heated seats. Unless you have had heated seats, you don't see the usefulness. Once you have had them, you do. The same principle applies to the power, cornering, comfort, etc.

I went from a Civic to a Mustang GT.

Mind you it was a '96 Mustang GT so it wasn't particularly fast. But it looked and sounded the part.

I don't know if the excitement wore off. I could just roll around with the windows down and hear the 4.6...

But I sure did miss the little sedan when I pulled up to the pump. Still miss the 32+ mpg. (and I could have done without the manifold and other cooling system problems on the Mustang...but a little romp on the V8 made it all better)

I'm never bored of the z. Going threw those turns like I'm on rails is exciting. But after having the car for almost 2years, I do want more power hehehe. (Looking at shelby gt500s). And daily driving a "fast car" is ok for alittle bit but after a while your realize how much gas you spent and tickets if any. I switched over to a small dodge pickup which barely has any power so I'm driving the speed limit and saving gas. Drive the z on the weekends.

I go for comfort and economy. My 1996 Avalon has both. However, it has decent speed and out on El Mirage Dry Lake I have been well over 100 m.p.h. with it.

I once had a used 1968 Cutlass in my 20's, that did much better. But it did not lack for comfort either.

If you are at a stage in life where you want to impress young women sporty cars are OK. For me though, I have different priorities these days.

Get a second car or a Track only car, join a club where you can let rip on a track or slalom course once in a while.
Best of both worlds, without speeding tickets.

Get power. Unless you are at the point where it's either buy gas or buy food (and you can't have both) then get a car you'll have fun in and then do so! I also wanted a little luxury, and could only afford one car, so after lots of driving, reading, and shopping, I settled on my LS. Bought it in 05 and still love the snot out of the thing. Could I stand for more power? YES!!! Anyone who says otherwise is lying, or has a Bugatti Veyron GS.... and they may still be lying. Regardless, I am never disappointed that I picked the V8. It will be 6 years since I got the car this June, and it has not worn off. Sure, Pilot Sport tires are $1k a set every 30-40k miles, but I knew that going into it. If I can still only afford one car in a couple years, it will be another sport sedan. The wife likes crossovers/suvs, so I'll let her slog those piles around.

I enjoy cooled seats, a 51/49 weight balance, and the smell of burnt rubber.

Last edited:
The year 2000 was the last time I owned a car that had less than 400 horsepower. 400 horsepower is dangerous, and it can kill you if you let it loose at the wrong time. It took me about two years to stop being nervous every time I turned the key. Seriously.

After driving a selection of powerful cars, I'd prefer never to go back. The "reality" is that they're just a car, but they're more work to drive than lower powered cars. Every shift has to be right or you feel it. You have to roll the throttle carefully or you'll break the tires loose. I can go full throttle anytime I like in the family's Ford Focus and nothing bad happens. In contrast, powerful cars require much more finesse. It feels good to master all that power, but you have to take charge of it every time you put it in gear. You'll never be a passenger again.

Engine Management systems make high performance cars easier than ever to own.

My love, an LJ Torana with big heads, exhaust, triple carbs and big cam was great...when I was 20, and could put up with the hard starting, poor cold performance, and revel in the driving.

My E30 323i was so much more livable in my 40s, and I revelled in handling more than exploring the top end.

My L67 Caprice is another gem, of a different nature...pulley swap and rockers, here we come.

When i bought my Ford wagon (Freestyle) I didn't go for all the bells and whistles so our Car replacement would get the money we didnt spend on the wagon. Well we traded in a Mustang for the Caddy CTS with the 3.6 DI and 304 HP. We put the handling package in it too. Sweet... It never gets old. As was said quite well earlier, acceleration, cornering , not to mention the heated/cooled seats etc. Were well worth it. Going on the third year... just falling in love more and more...

The Altima V6 in our family is our first and only "fast" car. Yes, it's fast by family sedan standards-- lots of low-end torque, 0-60 in 6.6 sec, under 15 sec quarter mile, etc.

However, the thrill of rapid acceleration and the stupid things you can do with it (my dad is guilty) wore off after a month or two. I came to realize that there was way more power than we could use, and the pedal never went down more than 1/4 of the way because you'd be far exceeding the speed limit. As a result, that engine rarely sees more than 2500 rpm...you just didn't need it. Even with light acceleration, I would be blasting past most of the cars when I pull away from the traffic light. Oh, and the 17-18 mpg we average doesn't help either.

So, I think for my next car, I will get something that is around 200HP with an 8 sec 0-60 time. Anything more than that is just unnecessary and wasteful.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
If you are at a stage in life where you want to impress young women sporty cars are OK. For me though, I have different priorities these days.

That's where I'm at as well. I used to be really into Cadillacs, and I had two with the Northstar V-8 engine. They'd do 0-60 in the mid-6s, so were faster than most cars out there, and in a straight line, the wail of those 32 valves was habit-forming.

But then on a whim, I traded the '01 STS on an '07 Corolla. And the Corolla was a more enjoyable ownership. It drove better, it handled better, it got much better fuel economy, it was much more reliable, and was a better fit. I worried that I'd miss the power, but I didn't.

For me it's more about the satisfying nature of the car.

I want handling, brakes AND power. Along with quiet solid rigidity and heft. You won't get a better mix in a 4 door luxury sedan (under 80k) than my car. I can take you to dinner in utter silence and total comfort, then I can let her rip at my whim.

I have never had a car I could drive to my track days and run laps, then drive home! Sorry, but even if gas was 6 bucks I'd still drive this kind of car.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Now, I do drive spiritedly and notice the power and suspension/handling limitations of my current car sometimes, especially on twisty roads.

Aren't there some modifications you could perform on your current car that would make it handle the twisties better? Or is it all like slapping lipstick on a pig?

Bought the Vette last year, and I think the novelty wore off in about 3 months. I love walking out every morning seeing it there waiting for me, but after being in it for an hour or so, I look foward to getting out of it almost as much as I had looked forward to getting in it. The torque never quits, it sinks you back in the seat, the exhaust has a nice rumble, and it actually gets decent mileage, etc. But if you arent on a twisty backroad with the roof off on a sunny warm day, then you are in a harsh riding, clunky, expensive-tire-and-wheel-bearing-eating monster thats hard to park, impossible to get in and out of, any moderate bump on the road smacks your head into the roof, and any rut in the road pulls you in whatever direction the rut wants to take you. I have had Mustang 5.0's, turbo Rx7's, and various other 'fast' cars that seduced me with power during the test drive, and after living with them a few months I started asking myself what the big deal was. Other than the payment.

My 240 convertible is one of the slowest cars I have ever owned, and by far the most enjoyable. It could probably get blown away by a UPS truck, but it tears up corners like they arent there, its more liveable, and just easier and more fun to drive. And it was dirt cheap. I feel like a dork leaving the Vette in the driveway on the weekend while I'm out puttering around some old Nissan convertible, but truth is as slow as it is, its a much more fun, sporty car to drive, lack of power and all.

In short, your wife (and mine!) was/were right in my case, and may be in yours too. (Wow, did I say that out loud?... Maybe I just need to turn in my man card.) Buy a car because you like to drive it *all the time*, not just when you're hammering it. Take a LOOOOOOOONG test drive before you buy. You will quickly get used to the power, but premium gas, hideously expensive fast-wearing tires, bad handling in the rain, and bad gas mileage are things that smack you in the face every day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: quint
I feel like a dork leaving the Vette in the driveway on the weekend while I'm out puttering around some old Nissan convertible, but truth is as slow as it is, its a much more fun, sporty car to drive, lack of power and all.

Is it one of those "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow" kind of things?

The 240sx is an awesome looking coupe, by the way. IMO, it looks even better than the convertible. It looked great when it was introduced, and it still looks great today. Always wanted one of those...

204 sx design is timeless...

I also like mazda MX6 - if those cars had V6 engines, they'd be perfect.
Don't forget Acura Legend coupes till 1995 or so with the GSII engine..they look great.
Acura CL 3.0 is also nice...

also timeless: (IMO)
a used lexus sc300 or a sc400 (pre-2002) can make a fun daily driver, as can my used 330Ci Bimmer
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back