Pressure Washer Pump Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched already and started this thread because I've searched for 20 minutes and didn't find any deliberate threads regarding this. Industrial pressure washer pumps, mainly triplex three plunger types -- what's the default oil to use? I'm going with S.A.E. 30-weight non-detergent but it's been my experience in the field that these things are super tough and run well on whatever -- 80W90 gear oil, 20W50 motor oil and even hydraulic oil. Corrosive elements are the biggest issue as some pumps have the cleaning chemical intoduced upstream on the inlet side. Calling the individual mfgs. is the next step but I thought I'd check here first. One mfg. recommends "their" oil but doesn't publish any specs.

Ive seen CAT pump oil on the shelf someplace... HD perhaps? Northern tool?

Anyway, my washer has a CAT, so I'd definitely use that, but would imagine it is good purpose-specific oil for such an application. May have more fortification for corrosion resistance or whatnot...

Amsoil PCK, I believe, was stated as being the correct oil for my Comet AXD3020, which calls for SAE ND30.

You want detergent-free, single weight oil rated by low temperature just like for compressors (ISO rating). Amsoil's ISO-to-SAE conversion doesn't match up with most charts because the charts are for low-VI dino oils instead of syn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: truckmike26
So 30-weight ND is it.

Somewhere between "usually" and "often", yes. That doesn't mean there aren't pumps out there which call for something else.

I have been using 80w90 gear lube since I met a guy who had pressure washing company and said the gear oil worked best.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
We used a 30W ND Hydraulic oil for pressure washer pumps

Be careful, because a lot of/most "hydraulic oils" are detergent. This was pointed out to me by either Comet or Amsoil when I was looking into lubes after my pump rebuild. I see you've said ND, but I merely speak as a caution to other readers who might grab a bottle of "hydraulic oil".

Just purchased a Comet AXD2527G and found this...

neilandjoplus3

Really want to use 100% synthetic oil in this new pump. Amsoil or some other brand. Thoughts???

Originally Posted By: packfan
Just purchased a Comet AXD2527G and found this...

neilandjoplus3

Really want to use 100% synthetic oil in this new pump. Amsoil or some other brand. Thoughts???

Amsoil told me "PCK" for my Comet. I happen to have some on hand so that's probably what I'll start using.

On the other hand, after having one of these fully disassembled, the pump lube doesn't get to any of the really interesting parts. It just lubes the wobble plate at the aft end of the pistons and the bearing for the input shaft. All the "heavy" stuff at the high pressure end has no lube except water.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
So 30-weight ND is it.

Somewhere between "usually" and "often", yes. That doesn't mean there aren't pumps out there which call for something else.

By "it" I mean "default". That is, the best choice when recommended oil isn't available or when dealing with multiple recommendations.

....but it seems plain old axle gear oil does a good job just as well. No problem with heat and plenty thick to cushion all the intense vibration and shock-loading.

....but it seems plain old axle gear oil does a good job just as well. No problem with heat and plenty thick to cushion all the intense vibration and shock-loading.

I don't believe that gear oil is considered ND (I could be wrong), and as far as I know the reason for pump manufacturers specifying ND is the ability to handle water contamination well. From what I've read they *spec* ND, they don't say "ND is good enough" or "you don't need detergents".

The ISO 46 compressor oil is what we are commending for the Cat pump. It will work in place of any non-detergent SAE 20 or SAE 30 oil (which is typically what is being used from the manufacturer).

Darryn Wallace

This is a text of a letter sent to me by oilboy a long time ago. We use this in all of our CAT pumps now.

I use non-detergent 30 grade oil, and have been doing so for the last 20 years with the same machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back