Shell Rotella T6 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
LIke the TBN and ZDDP.

Expected more detergents than that.

With a TBN over 11, how much more do you want?

Originally Posted By: metroplex
Why is there so much moly in a JASO MA oil?

Molybdenum dithiocarbamate doesn't negatively effect a clutch the way Molybdenum disulfide does.

Is there a way to check for the moly disulfide from a VOA? I was curious to see how Rotella T6 (JASO MA) compares against Mobil 1 15W-50 and other non-energy conserving synthetics.

I'm trying out T6 in my Civic along with MMO for a cleanup interval. I'm doing a top-end cleaning before the oil change with Amsoil's Power Foam, and I'll also idle a 15 minute 'flush' before draining and re-filling with the T6/MMO combo. I'll post results if the combo is effect or not.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That's quite a mix you've got in your Civic - I'd love to see a UOA of that!

Hey, why not? I'll save some before draining and get it sampled.
grin2.gif

The car definitely drives with somewhat of a 'lug' and gas mileage is probably going to decrease. In hindsight, I'd probably have added another pint to make it a full Qt of MMO and only added half of the 2nd Qt of T6. Oh well, I can always pull some out if the mileage does drop too bad. I definitely feel the need to take it easy on the engine upon first start up, but after highway speeds shifting near red-line is better than ever.

19.gif
13.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Some Shell's spec's:
VI 169.5
HTHS vis' 4.0cP

How did you get the HTHS?
20.gif

This is the first API 5w40 that close to a Euro 5w40 in specs!

Some Shell's spec's:
VI 169.5
HTHS vis' 4.0cP

Wow! How long have we been looking for this information. I called Shell US and they refused to give it out.
20.gif

Caterham,

No time to hunt the forums right now, but I think I've seen mention of Rotella T6 in a different viscosity north of the border.

Raises the possibility that the formulation could differ, even for the 5W-40. Did Shell Canada technical service happen to mention if T6 was the same wherever it is found?

Thanks!
Alan

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Some Shell's spec's:
VI 169.5
HTHS vis' 4.0cP

20.gif

Looks like this might be a good budget candidate for my parents G35s...I wonder if it could go 8,000 mile oci's in those cars

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mac9128
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Some Shell's spec's:
VI 169.5
HTHS vis' 4.0cP

20.gif

Looks like this might be a good budget candidate for my parents G35s...I wonder if it could go 8,000 mile oci's in those cars

Definetly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back