brake rotor help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: scott37300
Order online and pick up in store and get 40% off everything, can't beat it.

That doesn't work for those of us who don't have a store close to us.

Well if you order 115 dollars worth of parts and use a code you will get 40 bucks off and free shipping for orders over 75 dollars after discounts. I did this before I knew I could pick stuff up in store. Not as good of a deal but still a good deal and free shipping.

I like the combination of Raybestos "Advanced Technology" (painted hubs and non friction surface on end of rotor) with Akebono pads through RockAuto.

Held up well, low dust, good performance.

Raybestos has Service Grade, Professional Grade and Advanced Technology.
The quality is in that order, which the Advanced Technology being their premium product.

Also, bleed the fluid at each wheel until the fluid comes out clean.....
Dirt and moisture seems to build up right at the caliper end.....so this will clean that all out.

ok thanks everyone for the quick replies. I do have a few questions tho. I have come up with what i feel is the best "bang for the buck" for my dad and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think.

Rotors- Wearever rotors from advanced auto, about 45 each. coming to about 90. then using the 35 dollar off coupon makes them around 53 ish (just go with my math) So best deal I can find. better even than buying the cheep "prontos" from online and they have a 2 year warantee. Idk what it covers but im sure its fine.

Now here is where i get a bit confused, is on brake pads. I researched a little and for the budget market (eg under 50) looks like the big contenders are thermoquiets, wearever golds & ceramics, and duralast golds & cmax. out of all of them I chose the duralast golds simply because they are affordable (about 42 bucks) have a lifetime warantee (even for wear) and seem to be having good success.

Now I asked my buddy who dinks around with cars all day and drifts what he thought of my idea and he seemed to be very much so opposed to duralasts. Saying that wearevers or thermoquiets were a better choice because duralasts have "no quality control" What do you guys think?

I also want to replace the brake hardware. are these the parts I need? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...8&ppt=C0064 and http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...6&ppt=C0064

I know many people have said you can reuse hardware but for the low money I figure its cheep insurance to make sure that they dont seize up for at least a little while.

Alright gota run to class.
Thanks
Sean Scott

Originally Posted By: DARKSCOPE001

Now I asked my buddy who dinks around with cars all day and drifts what he thought of my idea and he seemed to be very much so opposed to duralasts. Saying that wearevers or thermoquiets were a better choice because duralasts have "no quality control" What do you guys think?

Quote:
Here's advice from The Critic "I just looked on Tires Plus' website. They use Wagner ThermoQuiet brake pads. I would not use those, as their performance is so-so and their pad shim design is questionable."

Quote:
And Jimmy 9190 "The Duralast pads are definitely better quality than the Wearever pads. They are heavier, have a thicker backing plate, the mounting clips are better quality and hold the pad to the caliper tighter and they have shims which I believe will stop or at least greatly reduce the chance of any noise in the future."

I am not endorsing AZ over the others. It's just that we only have anecdotal opinions here about brakes and everyone's experience is different. I have good experience with AZ and also love the warrenty. AZ pads are made by Morse or Satisfied (last time I asked). If someone dies due to lack of quality control????..... Unless it's really a beater, just stay away from the $16/set ones, IMO.

Brake hardware. I found the kits by Autozone to be inferior to NAPA or Carquest. The AZ ones (my applications) just look terrible in build quality.

That pin kit looks similar to my Caravan's (rubber shim on pin). BEWARE: the NAPA kit I bought fit too snug and bound up. The Car Quest one moved silky smooth. I almost think the NAPA one caused premature wear on my last job. Pay attention to details.

Last edited:
yes, pay very close attention to the details.

The advice being given, while helpful, is very platform dependent. So what works great on car A may not work well on Car B due to variations in pad design, shims, clips, etc.

This is why brakes are not always a good idea for a do it yourselfer.

Note: my vote is for the thermoquiets. They're GREAT on trucks!

I have had good results with thermoquits. You can do 2 seperate orders using the same code at advance, one order for the rotors and another for the pads and rotors. I think there is a code for 25 off of 60 also, bunch of different codes for different amounts. I'm not trying to push advance but I use the [censored] out of the codes all the time!

Originally Posted By: DARKSCOPE001
Now here is where i get a bit confused, is on brake pads. I researched a little and for the budget market (eg under 50) looks like the big contenders are thermoquiets, wearever golds & ceramics, and duralast golds & cmax. out of all of them I chose the duralast golds simply because they are affordable (about 42 bucks) have a lifetime warantee (even for wear) and seem to be having good success.

I know some people like AZ Duralast golds and like the warranty. But I was always suspicious how they could sell a pad at a competitive price and waranty it for lifetime even for wear. It seems they'd have to be cost cutting somewhere to subsidize all those people warrantying worn pads they put on old rotors, so I avoid them. I have used AA Wearever Gold ceramics and they've worked good. If you can get a discount at AA on the wearever golds I'd give them a try. But if you already have the Duralast they'll most likely work OK.

[
Quote:
quote=mechanicx]I know some people like AZ Duralast golds and like the warranty. But I was always suspicious how they could sell a pad at a competitive price and waranty it for lifetime even for wear. It seems they'd have to be cost cutting somewhere to subsidize all those people warrantying worn pads they put on old rotors, so I avoid them. {/quote]

Interesting how different people's psyche works. I am a stickler about some things, but don't mind using AZ pads.

Other stores used to have this policy, but AZ seems to be the last hold out. By your logic (excellent, by the way) these other stores would have been selling inferior pads also.

AZ could just use this as a loss leader marketing scheme to get people into the store to spend more $ there in the long run. Also, many people probably never use the lifetime warranty for replacement.

Well are there any other high quality brand of brakes pads that has that kind of warranty or really any part that is warrantied lifetime for wear? You are paying for that warranty that covers wear lifetime. We can assume that Autozone is eating the cost or that every other brake pad without a lifetime wear warranty is overpriced, but the most likely scenario is AZ is including the warranty into the price.

The point is anyone who uses a store brand pad probably isn't looking for the best quality but more focused on price. That being the case maybe the AZ pads are the best deal going.

Mechanix, I have to laugh because I know that personal experiences sway our opinions! In researching "lifetime pad warrantees" I came across a 2010 thread here where you described being burned by poor fitting, junk AZ pads.

Ironic, but about 3 years ago I took advantage of a Murrays (now Oreilly's in MI) sale and stepped up to the better Raybestos pads and best rotors (PG Plus, but now they have changed their brand names/levels). The riveted pad shims tore off and the shims wedged into my rotors somehow. Murrays replaced everything for free and the second set of pads did the same thing. So much for my trial with "better" quality.

I understand your opinion and logic. I need some help from the old guys here with my memory. It seems that just 10 years ago lifetime pad warranties existed with a number of brands. Didn't Bendix have this?? For fact, I know that the first set of Performance Friction pads I bought at AZ (12 years ago?) had a lifetime wear warranty. These were not shoddy pads by any means.

But, I catch your drift and am not saying you are wrong. IMO, it is getting harder and harder to judge value (best quality) of stuff in relation to name brand.

Take care.

I just installed the Advance Auto Wearever rotors on the rear of my Hyundai tonight. I used an online discount code, so it came out to $24 each. They appear to be good for that low price.

My rear pads came on the mail today. I had some free time, so I decided to install them. I didn't want to wait for mail order rotors, so Advance was my cheapest local option.

ok guys not to bring a thread back from the dead. but This is what I have come up with as far as a parts list for my dad. Wagoner thermoquiets paired with wearever rotors. I figured if the rotors go bad in 2 years We can take them back for free warantee. And I have heard mostly good things about thermoquiets.

But it seems like either people love them or hate them. So Im still a bit weary. They seem like good pads for the money and they have a rebate right now. But Ive read that sometimes they can make squealing even worse and my dad is complaining about squealing right now. (oe rotors, which are damaged paired with wearever silvers)

Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks
Sean Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back