Schaeffers 274 grease...still good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one last tube of the 274 grease that is about 8 years old. All I use it for is greasing the front end of my 1997 Sierra pick up truck. I will be ordering more grease soon and want to know if this is still one of the best greases on the market. I have not keept up on grease. Many thanks!

Chris B. said:
I have one last tube of the 274 grease that is about 8 years old. All I use it for is greasing the front end of my 1997 Sierra pick up truck. I will be ordering more grease soon and want to know if this is still one of the best greases on the market. I have not keept up on grease. Many thanks! [/quote

Yep

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Yes, it is a good product.

So here are some thoughts about Schaffers, When I began researching grease a couple of years back, I contacted the Schaeffers Rep,

He came out and did his speal, showed up at the shop with a little test machine and a whole bag full of grease , oil of every make shape and size,

While he did not know exactly the application of grease that I was working on for the Toyota enclosed steering axle, he did have the best information,

learned a lot, now his little test machine pretty much chewed up any other grease, or oil, other then Schaeffers, while that is impressive in itself, there are other things that just make sense,

like, the Schaeffers grease Stinks,

Did you know that perfume, dye and alike are added to grease?

Why?

So it is more appealing to you, not what your greasing,

Selling point for me because I know a wheel bearing, ball joint or whatever is not going to care one bit about smell and color,

Not one bit,

Now While this may cause some stir in this Grease forum I dont care,

While the Schaeffers guy had tons of information, hands on tests, all sorts of products off every brand to compare,

And a flat fee of 350 bucks to sign up and get wholesale cost or otherwise buy it @ Napa,

So I called the Amsoil guy and he came out, see if he and his company knew anything about This Sodium based grease I was researching,

He came out to the shop with a bunch of paper, no oil or grease, no information other than Amsoil is great, sign up for 30 bucks and be a dealer, well sure he did come all the way out so signed up,

In hind site I should have not bothered, they still send me paper in the mail with all sorts of pretty nice smelling grease and oil in the pictures as well as coolant additives that help your rig warm up and all sorts of wonderful stuff,

But for me I am old School, and will take the nasty smelling Schaeffers grease any day of the week,,,And one of the main things that makes Schaeffers a good grease is how it is made,
procedures that date back 100 years are still in place, each batch is brewed up from scratch, not in a as needed assembly line process which is the case with newer greases,

so sorry to all the Amsoil fans out there for me it seems like its the Mary Kay deal for dudes,,,

Marketing is SO powerful, sometimes in subliminal ways that even beat the "knowledgeable" people.

I am not a grease expert. But, it amazes me how many people associate green, red, or blue as an indicator of a superior grease. I have an old school bias based on growing up with carmel colored grease!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Marketing is SO powerful, sometimes in subliminal ways that even beat the "knowledgeable" people.

I am not a grease expert. But, it amazes me how many people associate green, red, or blue as an indicator of a superior grease. I have an old school bias based on growing up with carmel colored grease!

Yes,

This is what is absolutely amazing about this oleaginous situation, even the "Elect" have been misled in some circles,

I have read that obfuscation and confusion in the Marketing of Grease is rampant,

Seems there is a bit of it everywhere,

I think that one would be hard pressed to find a better line-up of greases than Schaeffers. Schaeffers greases 274,238,229, and 221 all will work great in this application.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
I think that one would be hard pressed to find a better line-up of greases than Schaeffers. Schaeffers greases 274,238,229, and 221 all will work great in this application.

Salesrep,,

Interesting thought here "hard pressed to find" Now in visiting with the local Carquest auto parts store about grease and such they told me that they where told by "Corporate" to drop the Schaeffers grease, did for a bit but then such a outrage and disgust from all the hillbilly Farmers and grease monkeys in North Idaho, got them to put it back on the shelf,,,

Interesting,,, now thats a grease you want, the folks selling car parts dis interested,

That is a grease that works, works good, works to good,,,good enough the parts sellers dont like it,,, thats the "key"

So in a sense when you go to your local parts store kinda wonder if thier agenda is to sell you parts or the right grease to keep these parts in good shape,,

The classic conflict of interest,, happens, believe it or not,

Three points against selling Schaeffer grease--
--They'll sell less, because it stays in the joints longer
--They'll sell fewer parts, because there is less wear on the parts
--They'll have fewer customers for the Schaeffer grease because of little marketing.

Well, I guess that is two reasons to use the grease. The customers that use it stick with it. The customers that never heard of it won't use it, because they never heard of it.

The Carquest auto parts stores are franchises. The franchisee who owns several stores in your region must the the one who made the decision about what to stock.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Three points against selling Schaeffer grease--
--They'll sell less, because it stays in the joints longer
--They'll sell fewer parts, because there is less wear on the parts
--They'll have fewer customers for the Schaeffer grease because of little marketing.

Well, I guess that is two reasons to use the grease. The customers that use it stick with it. The customers that never heard of it won't use it, because they never heard of it.

The Carquest auto parts stores are franchises. The franchisee who owns several stores in your region must the the one who made the decision about what to stock.

Re: Schaeffers 274 grease...still good stuff? [Re: IH8mush]
doitmyself Offline

Loc: Michigan

Oh the grease "Conspiracy"

So Why does Schaeffers do so little Marketing,? and there are others like this JAX lubricant company that just are just happy with supplying grease to Areospace, appliance, Industrial mining and such,
and wont really touch the "Consumer Market"

I have my theories but sure would like to here yours,,,

Thanks

I'm a diesel mechanic for a fleet that uses Schaeffer oil/greases. I can say that I'm seriously impressed with the product. We use the 274 #2 grease for all the tractor needs. U-joints last forever and we let the trucks go at around 800k with zero king pin play. That speaks for itself right there. The few trucks I've put u-joints in were in 600-700k range (spicer joints). We don't have cam bushing failures and everything seems to hold up great.

I also noted the talk about Jax lubricant. That is another great product. It gets used on the sliding areas of the trailers. Nothing can compare to it.

IH8mush Oh the grease "Conspiracy" So Why does Schaeffers do so little Marketing said:
Schaeffers is beginning to do a lot more marketing with their Racing oils,Industrial lubricants and with the Trucking Industry. Much of Schaeffer's marketing is done by the local reps. Being a smaller independently owned Company, Schaeffers business model is quite different than the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back