FORD 6.9l injector pump ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me start by being honest and stating i'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to diesel's,

Never had a need to have any knowledge of them, until now.

I picked up an 87 F350 6.9l 175k just as a work truck cuz it was a great deal $500 and all it needed was a rear diff. now the truck is going to be used to haul pipe to gas line sites,
My question is about the injector pump ??? I here no good tales of the mechanical injector pump

what do these cost to replace ?
what kind of preventative maintenance can I do to prolong it's life ?
Do they give "notice" (so to speak) before they go ?
How can I tell if mine is in good shape ?

I know that there are diesel forums, but i'm a member of too many forums already !

thanks guys.

My sister just replaced one in a 1993 F250 (7.3l NON-turbo) that she has. It was around $550 for the part (reman) and another $150 to put in IIRC. Then the old pump was $300 for the core (so she had to send it back east for another $45-50 in shipping)

Her situation was it started having power problems (its already a dog being a 4x4 extended cab with 8 ft bed) and became harder and harder to start. Then it would not. Once she replaced it all the problems went away.

Good water separator and proper fuel is what they told her to prevent this from happening again. Far from a diesel expert but thought I'd jump in. Many members here know their stuff and will be helping soon.

Bill

The primary cause of failure of the Stanadyne injector pump (which is what your 6.9 IDI, my '89 7.3 IDI, and '93 6.2 GMC IDI all have) is either water in the fuel-which will cause catastophic failure of the rotor in the pump-or-gradual wearing of the housing from age, mileage, or the current DRY ULSD fuel-it'll fail when the pump is hot, no start, dumping ROOM TEMPERATURE water on it will usually get it running again. As far as I can tell my '93 w/140K & '89 w/138K still have their original injection pumps on them. An aftermarket fuel/water separator, made by a co. such as Racor, is an excellent investment for any diesel, and the Stanadyne pumps are not as forgiving as most. Also run a lubricity additive, or even 200:1 2-stroke or B2-B5 biodiesel if you can find it to increase pump & injector life-our old pumps were NEVER INTENDED to use low sulfur diesel!

If you are concerned about your Ford, try a 95 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel. My stepfather had 4 injection pumps replaced under warranty. That was one of the first years GM went to an electronic injection pump and they had issues. As far as your injection pump, my stepfather has been using Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up bought at the local diesel shop. A GM diesel tech said Stanadyne Lubricity Formula was recommended to help the new injection pump last. The local diesel shop that sells Stanadyne recommended Performance Formula to reduce gelling in winter. Truck runs great and knock on wood, no more injection pump replacements. Not that you need to use these products, but you may need something to boost lubricity, etc.

thanks for the info thus far,
so from what I can tell this another case of "big brother" affecting our vehicle's by mandating less sulfur in fuels ??

this "lubricity" additive I assume this is a fuel additive and can I get it anyplace ?
We don't really have a local diesel shop...

and your saying if it lets me hang...just dump water down over the outside of it? I assume to cool it down.

Last edited:
If it dies hot-and I mean REALLY HOT-as in a long run in 95 degree weather-the water is something to try. Stanadyne Performance Formula is good stuff-but any decent TC-W rated (or better) 2-stroke oil will work. Don't worry about your IP like the guy above with the '95 6.5-those electronic injection pumps were possibly the worst ever installed on a diesel (although the Dodge/Cummins VP44s were pretty bad as well)-a circuit board that overheated unless it was mounted on a remote heat sink with an extension harness, an optical sensor that doesn't like dirty fuel, and a stepper motor to control fuel amount. Your IP is more like what you'd find on an old diesel tractor!

by 200:1 you mean 200g of fuel to 1g 2-stroke ??
forgive me of my ignorance.

and are you saying we can run 100% bio in the thing or 50/50 ??

Originally Posted By: wsar10
this "lubricity" additive I assume this is a fuel additive and can I get it anyplace ?
We don't really have a local diesel shop...

I went to Stanadyne's website. They tell who distributes or sells their products. As others have indicated you have cheaper options that may do all you need. I went with Stanadyne based on following a diesel techs advice. I know nothing about diesels. But, I do know if the injection pump went out again past extended warranty I would have been rangled into fixing it.
smile.gif

Check out the forum oilburners.net

Its probably the best forum for the 6.9 and 7.3 IDIs around!

I'm not sure where your located but we have a guy in PA who does Injection pump work who is a member of oilburners. He also can time the engines as well.

Most places will only set your timing by ear instead of doing it the correct way. Re timing these engines helps greatly with todays fuel because it burns different. You can gain back some power and fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: CDX825
Check out the forum oilburners.net

Its probably the best forum for the 6.9 and 7.3 IDIs around!

I'm not sure where your located but we have a guy in PA who does Injection pump work who is a member of oilburners. He also can time the engines as well.

Most places will only set your timing by ear instead of doing it the correct way. Re timing these engines helps greatly with todays fuel because it burns different. You can gain back some power and fuel economy.

around state college PA,
thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back