Oil recommendation for 2000 Toyota 4Runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've been reading the BITOG forums for a few days now and am glad I found a very informative auto-forum. Most of the other ones I've read can get a little nasty with not much information being shared.

I just bought a 2000 Toyota 4Runner V6 3.4L with 65k miles on it. On the oil cap, it says I should be running 5W-30. I don't have the manual as the last guy lost it. I read on here that running a thinner oil is a good idea, so I'd like to switch out what is in the tank for a 0W oil. I read the sticky on what info to provide you guys, so here it is:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2000 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 4x4
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
No manual. Do not know this info.
3. Where you live
Victoria, BC Canada. Fairly mild weather. Winter only gets to about -05C on a cold day.
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
I drive pretty easy as I care about my MPGs. I don't usually accelerate my vehicles too hard, unless I'm running late for something.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
I would say I'm at about 80/20 city/highway driving. I usually make very short trips; anywhere from 5 to a max of 20 minutes, unless I'm going camping/hunting.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
I just bought it, so no issues yet. I ran a CarFax and CarProof report and everything was good. A presale inspection also turned out good.

If you have any preferences -- synthetic vs. conventional, store-bought vs. ordered online, how long you'd like to go between oil changes, etc. -- or any other info you think might be important, let us know that as well.

I'd like to try synthetic oils as I've read on here that they are a superior product. I don't drive a lot of kms, so at most, I'd probably do a oil-change twice a year.

If you guys need more info, let me know! So what brand and weight of oil do you guys think would run best in my 4Runner?

Thank,
Leo

Last edited:
First, WELCOME!
2nd, To get FREE access to the owner's manual online, go to www.toyota.com and under the owner's section, register your vehicle using your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
In addition to getting free access to the owner's manual, you will see a history of all service that has been performed on your particular vehicle at any TOYOTA/LEXUS dealership and any open Recalls that may apply to your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jikkyo
I probably drive 10k a year. max 15k. That's in kms btw :p

Well, you could easy go to one OCI per year on those KM. Especially if only 10K

I've got a 1997 4Runner Limited w/ 160,000 plus miles on it that I've tried most 5W-30 OTC synthetics including:
Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum & Ultra, Catrol Edge and Syntec (older versions) including Catrol Syntec 0W-30 European formula AKA German Castrol,
Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic & blend, Valvoline SynPower and Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I've also tried Rotella T5 10w-30.
Changed every 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.

And my favorite by far out of the bunch and what I'm currently running for the 3.4L V6 5VZ-FE
has been German Castrol gold 0W-30 for its verified better cleaning ability in my engine and I like the -65F pour point for it.
And I can't deny that it does indeed run smoother and quieter in my engine.

My second favorite of the bunch would be Valvoline SynPower.

Try what you like and come to your own conclusion as to what is best for your 4Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back