2011 Sonata recommendations???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so we traded our suv for this Sonata gls with a 2.4 direct injected 4 banger. I tried searching, but didn't find much on this engine. I'm thinking PP or PU with amsoil filters. What does everyone else think?????

Originally Posted By: markum
I'm thinking PP or PU with amsoil filters. What does everyone else think?????

Either oil choice would work great. Hyundai uses Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State products right from the factory.

As a Hyundai owner - here is my preventitive maintance for direct injection engine deposits:
First , use the OEM Hyundai oil filters - they are excellent quality and less expensive than after market oil filters .
Second , any SN / SM rated name brand oil which matches the oil fill cap weight recommendation and driven for the matching service interval (i.e. severe / normal) will suffice . Third , I would mix TCW-3 rated 2 cycle oil or MMO with Techron at a ratio of 50 - 50 then add a ratio to each full tank of 640:1 ~ 768:1 to ward off deposit issues before they start as well as provide a little top end lube . * At a minimum , I would add a couple ounces of Techron to every new tank of gas. Fourth , always try to fill up at 1/4 tank to keep any potential tank sediment at bay - Hyundai fuel filters are often complex and built as part of the fuel pump assembly which is expensive to replace . Lastly , here is a handy gas / MMO / TCW-3 ratio converter to use -> http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

I have a 2.4 Sonata. I can get a sense of how effective Amsoil/RP/M1/etc filters are, but no idea how effective OEMs are. Hard to believe they're as good.

Go buy a OEM Hyundai filter and compare - they are built like a tank and only cost around $7.00 . Also , some Hyundai engines have reported problems with certain after market oil filters (anti - drain back valve and oil starvation issues ) . Now in my Buick I have no concerns to run with a NAPA Gold , Bosch Premium , etc. But in a Hyundai - I always run OEM oil filters and avoid potential compatibility issues .

I have two unused Hyundai OEM oil filters sitting in my garage right now. The can may be tough but how's the media?

My oil filter is vertical, open end up, so a bad ADBV wouldn't make much difference.

I am also familiar with the TSB regarding knocking noises with some aftermarket filters. I've been running an M1 and it poses no such problem.

As far as me trying to be on topic... I'm sure PP or PU would be great in the OP's car. Amsoil filters are of course known to be good but I have no experience with them in this vehicle. As mentioned, I use a Mobil 1 EP and it works great (or, should I say, I have no dreaded "knocking sound"). I don't believe in extremely long OCIs and I always use synthetic, and I don't claim to be an expert in anything except admitting I'm not an expert in anything else.

Alright, so we traded our suv for this Sonata gls with a 2.4 direct injected 4 banger. I tried searching, but didn't find much on this engine. I'm thinking PP or PU with amsoil filters. What does everyone else think?????

PU 5w-30 would be perfect for your 2.4. p1 filter would work great. i had PU 5w-30 in my 2.0t and it went well for an oci. im still using p1 filters for my oc.

I like the idea of using the oe filter. I use Motorcraft on my 2 Fords and Delco on the Acadia. I can buy either for about $4. Its not that aftermarket aren't as good but I know the flow rate is correct on the oe. Some Ford 4.6 motors have problems with other brands. They may be too restrictive in some cases.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'll use factory filters and probably PU or PP whichever is cheaper.

Another quick note. If I plan 3-3.5k OCI should I be using dino? My dealer uses Chevron oil. That would make things easier so I'm not running all over town hunting down oil like my other cars.

Another quick note. If I plan 3-3.5k OCI should I be using dino? My dealer uses Chevron oil. That would make things easier so I'm not running all over town hunting down oil like my other cars.
might as well with that short of an oci.

I never understood that advice. Synthetic is better for more reasons than longer OCIs. I think longer OCIs is a terrible reason to use synthetic. Keeping dirty oil in longer just means the contaminants your filter can't remove (< 25 micron or whatever it is) circulate longer. Unless I am truly missing something. But whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back