2001 VW GTI Automatic Transmission Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 VW GTI with automatic transmission. I bought the car used and have no detailed knowledge of the maintenance schedule. The car is about to turn over to 100K miles and I want to service the transmission to ensure proper working condition. How much would a VW dealer charge to drain the old fluid and install new fluid?

I may want to tackle this myself. What fluid is recommended?

Lancer, if you want to try the transmission change yourself, check these guys out:

http://www.blauparts.com/products.asp?cat=4301

I'm guessing you have the 5-speed Tiptronic. Their kit is $109.

In any case, this site will tell you which fluid to use with whichever transmission you've got.

(I used their trans fluid/filter kit for my '00 Beetle and it worked out perfectly.)

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
I have a 2001 VW GTI with automatic transmission. I bought the car used and have no detailed knowledge of the maintenance schedule. The car is about to turn over to 100K miles and I want to service the transmission to ensure proper working condition. How much would a VW dealer charge to drain the old fluid and install new fluid?

Chances are very good that fluid and filter is the OEM stuff. I'd definitely change out that fluid and filter. Changing the fluid and filter is easy, just a tad more difficult than a US transmission due to the lack of a dipstick tube to use during refill and checking the level. You can pick up the fluid and filter/pan gasket from a VW dealer. As for fluid, best bet is to only use VW ATF. Hit up www.vwvortex.com for DIY instructions.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3748902-DIY-Drain-Refill-on-09A-Tiptronic-Transmission

VW ATF from the dealer costs $30 a quart. M1 synthetic ATF costs $8 a quart from autozone. I think the reason VW tells you to use their ATF is because they claim the fluid is lifetime fluid
15.gif
. So they assume you're never going to change the fluid. I don't care how great of a synthetic oil it is. Their is no such thing as a life time lubricant.

Last edited:
Yeah they do claim "lifetime" on the coolant and tranny fluid.

I've got a 99' Passat with 160,000 mi. and never changed the tranny fluid and probably won't. I know I should have but that's water under the bridge.

The coolant, OTOH, is G12 which is similar to semi trucks and can go more than 600,000 mi. or 10 years. Now that's not lifetime but better than any other oem coolant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

If it's the same setup as our Jetta do it yourself. Get a inferred thermometer and a Bently manual. Follow the steps, it's not too bad to change. The dealer is going to charge way to much for a simple job.

Does your car have a 4-speed automatic (01M) or a 5-speed automatic (09A)?

The fluid requirement is different for each transmission.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Does your car have a 4-speed automatic (01M) or a 5-speed automatic (09A)?

The fluid requirement is different for each transmission.

I'm not sure. It does not have a tiptronic transmission if that helps.

Originally Posted By: bkbenjy
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3748902-DIY-Drain-Refill-on-09A-Tiptronic-Transmission

VW ATF from the dealer costs $30 a quart. M1 synthetic ATF costs $8 a quart from autozone. I think the reason VW tells you to use their ATF is because they claim the fluid is lifetime fluid
15.gif
. So they assume you're never going to change the fluid. I don't care how great of a synthetic oil it is. Their is no such thing as a life time lubricant.
VW ATF is not $30 from the dealer unless they are totally trying to screw you. It should be more like $12-$16 a liter....you'll need 3 liters, a filter with new o ring and a new pan gasket. Every dealer I have been to has these parts in stock. Shop around at other VW dealers. I personally would not run anything but VW ATF in a VW auto trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back