Motorcraft belts supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine had this '11 Crown Vic delivered this afternoon, and once we brought her home, we spent some time looking around the car.

One thing I noticed was the serpentine belt was made in Thailand. The belt on my car (Motorcraft JK6-922-A or 1W7Z-8620-AA) is made in USA, so this got me curious. I also noticed my friend's belt has a different part number printed on it, JK6-926 (or 6W7Z-8620-BA).

With Motorcraft belts, the last 3-4 digits tells you the circumference of the belt in inches. So mine is 92 1/8", his is 92 7/8". Not much of a difference there. Although checking with the parts department, the JK6-922-A for my car costs about $34, where as the JK6-926 costs $19! The JK6-926 is also made in Thailand, as we've seen on the car.

So this got me wondering, does Ford have multiple suppliers for their belts?
confused.gif

Just about any car maker will have access to multiple suppliers for their belts.

Also, I would not get all wrapped up in why your car and your friends new car has a 3/4" difference in belt length. Considering the 10 year spread of the two, things are bound to change even with those 4.6L modular engines

Change is inevitable.
wink.gif
I was just confused that, even with such a minor difference, both belts are produced by two different suppliers. One would imagine there would be further cost savings if they stuck with one supplier.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
One would imagine there would be further cost savings if they stuck with one supplier.

In a manufacturing environment, costs are always being examined and suppliers are no different. Many times these types of items can go out for bid or bids are received from another supplier that can make it cheaper and maintain specification.

Only thing the consumer needs to worry about is that Ford is backing the product and assuming liability for it.

Its better to have multiple suppliers. If they are only using one supplier and something happens to them, they could cripple an OEM, very quickly. They supplier I work for has our component on most all of Ford truck programs, and no car programs. Gm gets all of its rear wheel drive axles From American axle, except for the heavy duty trucks, that use the Dana. Evertime American axle has gone on strike, they end up shutting down all the plants that make rear wheel drive vehicles.

Last edited:
I think Ford does also do with some Motorcraft parts like GM does with ACDelco, selling some lower priced parts that are not actual OEM but an OEM approved aftermarket part.

An ACD belt for example is always a rebranded Gates aftermarket but a "Genuine GM" belt can be from anybody.

I believe Gates also supplies Ford, and apparently they have a factory in Thailand. I suppose that might explain it.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back