What makes a great U joint grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maintain my buddies 48' Fountain Express with 3 44O Yanmars and Arneson drives. There are U joints behind the transmissions and they have grease fittings and I wanted some suggestions of some of the best U joint greases.

I am wondering what your working with a fountain express ?

48 ?

Well a ujoint grease ? Well Walter Scott in the 1930,s felt that a "Properly" lubed joint would be in a puddle of oil,

this is not possible really with a open u-joint, although I have seen recommendations from early Dodge books to add 140 W oil to U-joints ????

The thinner the better though heard real good stuff about schaffers #0 238 grease ??

See if that schaffers # 0 238 grease does the trick,

Kluberplex BEM 134-32 is a good choice. If you read the product data sheet, it's a NLGI Grade 1-1/2 made for micromotion applications, and is calcium-based to resist washout.

The idea of lubricating u-joints is, as IH8mush said, that you want a thin grease. Thick grease gets pushed aside by the needles during use; thin grease has a better chance of reflowing to where it is needed.

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
a marine grade grease, thats all

Fountain express,

Okay a boat, more like a yacht, Cool,

Now are these joints directly exposed to water ? if not the Marine grade deal, wouldnt worry about that,

Not sure what makes a "Marine Grade grease" thread on that a while back,??

Common School of thought on u-joints is not really what type but how often they are re lubricated,

Now not to sure about this though, a sealed factory non greaseable joint goes for 15-20 years, then replace, I always replace with the greasable type, then dont seem to last as long,,no matter how often they are serviced,

things are a little different in the marine world due to saltwater....th reason greasables don't seem to last is people just throw the fitting on and pump it with grease......and all the junk sitting on the fitting... plus the checkballs can get messed up and leak/allow things in, get broken off ect........marine grease is specifically made to deal with saltwater so i would stick with it, it's a small price to pay compared to constantly lubing the u joint or worse, all out failure. consider what that whipping shaft would do to everything in the area including the hull

things are a little different in the marine world due to saltwater....th reason greasables don't seem to last is people just throw the fitting on and pump it with grease......and all the junk sitting on the fitting... plus the checkballs can get messed up and leak/allow things in, get broken off ect........marine grease is specifically made to deal with saltwater so i would stick with it, it's a small price to pay compared to constantly lubing the u joint or worse, all out failure. consider what that whipping shaft would do to everything in the area including the hull

Yep, Salt water corrosion that does throw wrench in the deal, but I am imagining these joints far removed from the water, not actually directly exposed to the water ?

not,Wiping of the dirt from the zerk yep that is a common malpractice,

Also now that I am thinking about it, often times the grease will just come out of one of the caps and not squirt out of all 4, path of least resistance kinda deal,

this may be from lack of maintenance but fairly common when greaseing a ujoint, So if you run into one like that only greaseing one cap,

Need to ensure the grease is getting to all 4 in order for it to do any good,

you have forgot about bilge water and lots of salt is in the air

Wow,

Well he dont need grease info he needs a bigger better bilge pump,

More GPM

well lets think about this........the props are under the bottom of the hull in the water, the bilge always has water in it......so the shafts have to pass through the bilge area to get to the props plus that water is sloshing around. granted it might have tunnels for shafts as i'm not familiar with the hull, but they pass through areas where water can defiantly get to

well lets think about this........the props are under the bottom of the hull in the water, the bilge always has water in it......so the shafts have to pass through the bilge area to get to the props plus that water is sloshing around. granted it might have tunnels for shafts as i'm not familiar with the hull, but they pass through areas where water can defiantly get to

I think where getting sidetracked here,

What salt body of water is near Missouri ? I spose if you go all the way down the Missouri River you may hook up with the Mississippi and then to the gulf of Mexico and then get that big ol boat in some salt water,,,

ledslinger Offline

Loc: Missouri

lol.....didn't really look at the location......i live on the coast of maine so it's habit

Okay, well any other great u joint greases, lil moly ? thinner the better, as long as it doesnt fling all over the place making a mess,

Boat is in freshwater currently. The joints would rarely get wet. The drives are surface, and they project aft off the transom.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Arneson surface drives.

Okay I did some reading about Howards surface drives, very cool,

Now without seeing exactly what the set up is I am thinking conventional u-joints in the shaft from the Eng to Howards surface drive, and then a constant velocity joint in the outboard articulating suface drive ?

"The Arneson patent also discloses the use of a constant velocity universal joint for rotationally coupling the engine's or transmission's shaft to the propeller shaft and to the prop shaft extension housing. Such a constant velocity U-joint generally comprises an outer race having spherical grooves formed in its inner surface and an inner race in the form of a ball or sphere also having spherical grooves formed in its exterior surface" from Howard's Patent,

Or are these constant velocity joints ? that your greasing ?

Any pictures ? neat invention,

i just did some research on them as well....i've never seen this setup before and i've dealt with a lot of boats. very cool

Okay there is a Permalube® sealed u joint for these boats,

Other wise its a lubricate every 100 hrs,

So what is this Permalube® ?

There is a Chevron/Texaco Permalube ® grease, says its good for joints,

So maybe thats the stuff ?

Anyways if a guy could figer out what is in the sealed Permalubed joints and squirt that in there,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back