2000 Acura Integra 169K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DEEPfrom1
Awesome info! I run shell rotella in my JDM B16a (91 civic hatch) 5w-40, it feels nice and smooth. I may also go with this for my built and boosted 240sx ( I know I have to many cars lol)

What are everyones thoughts on the Rotella T6 5w-40 for the Integra?!

I was going to give it a try, but I don't see the point. Rotella is designed for diesel engines which operate at a much lower speed and have much larger sumps. They certainly must require different characteristics out of an oil. So I don't see the point in using something like that when there are excellent high performance oils readily available like M1 0W-40, Castrol 0W-30 and Pennzoil 5W-40 (not as easy to get) developed for the relevant applications.

I know of a few guys that actually use Mobil 1 HM oils for racing. With higher miles and some oil burning, this would be a great choice for you to try.

Integras drink oil above 100K. I don't think you will get the benefits of a synthetic oil if you have to add several quarts between oil changes. Before deciding what oil to change to, I would:
(1) use the same oil that is being used today
(2) measure oil consumption over the next 5K
(3) do a UOA at @ 169K + 5K to figure out what the wear picture is like

If you use 1 quart or less, and the UOA looks good, I would consider synthetic. Otherwise I would stick to dino. 5W30 looks good to me - I would not go below that.

Last edited:
I use any 5w30 or 10w30 on sale. Mine is at 240k and it is not burning oil at all. They are well build and can last a long time.

Keep an eye on the radiator as they usually don't last too long due to the higher cap pressure than typical, and make sure you change your timing belt at 90k, and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I know of a few guys that actually use Mobil 1 HM oils for racing. With higher miles and some oil burning, this would be a great choice for you to try.

The 10W30 and 10W40 are the ones appropriate for racing. 5W30 doesn't have a high enough HTHS visc.

I would do at least a few dino changes with MMO. After that a few changes with Maxlife. If all is good you can try Mobile One HM if your looking for a synthetic oil.

I haven't bought the car yet. I was speaking with the owner, he is a friend of mine. He says the car burns 1 quart every 1000 miles. That seems a little excessive to me. I spoke with a second friend who is a certified honda technician, he says the factory service manual says the 1qt/1000m is acceptable.

Seems like a lot to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back