2000 Acura Integra 169K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I am picking up a 2000 Acura Integra LS non-vtec, 5speed manual with 169K. The car is all stock,original and very ncie. It runs great! My friend, who I am buying it from, says that it burns a little oil. I will find out exactly how much. Which I expected from the car even before I test drove it.

I plan on switching the car to full synthetic, as this will be my daily driver, which I would like to last a looooong time.

Just curious what oil everyone reccommends me. All I seem to find are threads for the Vtec model (GSR)

Thanks everyone

I'd run something like Castrol Edge 0w20 or Mobil 1 AFE 0w20. Both should return good gas mileage and offer stellar protection. You could easily run a longer change interval.

I used to feed my GS-R M1 0w20 and it still ran like a dream when I sold it at 90k.

IMO, Ultra 5w-30
grin.gif
Great UOA's...Though many full synthetics also give great UOA's.

What weight does the manual recommend?

5w-30 is recommended in the FSM.

Will I be better off staying with dino oil than switching to full syn?

Thank you guys for the info!

From my knowledge on this site the only real benefit to switch to full syn is extended drain interval, easier cold starts.
I prefer using a full synthetic is that it gets to the engine quicker, more detergent..so more cleanliness, possibly longer lasting..? Plus if you stretch your OCI longer it can actually be cheaper alternative.

Responding to that 5w-20..I could see you could use that if you wanted to try to squeeze a little extra mpg, but if you were planning on driving it hard or anything i wouldn't want it to sheer to a thinner weight

Last edited:
I ran 0w20 in my VTEC GS-R. Drove the [censored] out of it every day. Perfect compression, didn't burn a drop. The non-VTEC motors are far easier on oil.

If anything you go to a higher viscosity than manufacturer recommended, not lower. You can run pretty much anything in a B18B and be ok. Take your pick.

This is one thread I don't agree with dparm and the others recommending a light weight 0w20 oil (in this particular case) I would test a few 10w30 HM's out (M1 would be my first choice) and see how the consumption is. if it is not bad you can go to a lighter wgt. if you want.

How about a summer run ('cos NY gets darn cold after fall) of Rotella 10-30 to see if it de-gunks the rings. I had good luck a few years ago with diesel grade oils in my old '90 Mazda 626, which was beginning to use some oil. It cut my consumption in half.

Ya the B series motors aren't rated for ..w20 oil. Use a good 5w30. Unfortunately you are not going to get rid of the consumption but that motor should run a long time.

Ask the owner what oil he used and continue using that type (if he was using regular oil stick with it, synthetic use that).

At that mileage I wouldn't recommend going from regular to synthetic (my opinion from first hand experience in the accord in my signature) but if he was using synthetic you can continue using it or go to regular dino oil.

Mau: That was my main concern. I do prefer synthetic oil, I am just not sure if it would be bad at this millage to switch to synthetic (assuming the PO was using Dino).

Anyone else have any more information about switching to synthetic at 169K, also any good info on HM oil? Im going to research that now.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the knowledge.

dont run anything less than 5w-30 on these cars. i use 5w-30 synpower on my integra LS/GS and it runs so smooth. my consumption is about 1/4 quart to 1/3 quart per 5k miles. i have 111k on mine.

clean the PCV valve, that may decrease engine consumption.you can also run auto rx or MMO to clean up the oil control rings on the piston. maybe they are just stuck. you can also do the MMO piston soak.

PM me if you have any integra questions, im pretty inclined about these cars, its one of my hobbies. check out team-integra.net for excellent sources of DIY and info.

Congrats if you buy it, you're buying a really fun to drive car. 35+ mpg easy if u drive 65 on highway!

Last edited:
Any chance that you would explain why 10w30 instead of the 5w30 called for in the FSM, and why dino>syn? This is purely for my knowledge bank.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: DEEPfrom1
Any chance that you would explain why 10w30 instead of the 5w30 called for in the FSM, and why dino>syn? This is purely for my knowledge bank.

Thank you.

10w-30 generally has lower noack number(better for oil consumption)

A lot of people have a phobia about oil consumption when it's perfectly normal in a lot of engines (most Honda's). 10W-30 is ok in summer, but it in NY in winter it'll just increase wear because of it's poor low temp pumpability.

Fwiw, Castrol GTX and Castrol 0W-30 (GC) are exceptional at reducing oil consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
This is one thread I don't agree with dparm and the others recommending a light weight 0w20 oil (in this particular case) I would test a few 10w30 HM's out (M1 would be my first choice) and see how the consumption is. if it is not bad you can go to a lighter wgt. if you want.

I agree but I would go with Mobil 1 HM 5W30(excellent add pack)... These are really great oils for your application. May cut down on the oil burning and is a very good cleaning oil. Is one of Mobils very best oils...

Last edited:
Awesome info! I run shell rotella in my JDM B16a (91 civic hatch) 5w-40, it feels nice and smooth. I may also go with this for my built and boosted 240sx ( I know I have to many cars lol)

What are everyones thoughts on the Rotella T6 5w-40 for the Integra?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back