rubber cement in patch kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was messing with a lawn tractor tire and one of those bicycle tube repair kits. You know, the one with the little cheese grater, two 1" square patches, and a tiny tube of rubber cement.

I have an old bike inner tube I can cut up and use as patches... if I can find equivalent cement in a larger size.

Is the stuff from Staples in the big jug the same stuff? It seems tackier if I remember, or maybe I had some that got old.

No, it's not the same. It may work, but it may not. Typically patch kits use vulcanizing fluid, not rubber cement. Basically, it dissolves the rubber on both sides and fuses the patch, rather than adhering it to the surface.

Some bike tire patch kits use rubber cement, but contain tolulene, which simulates this reaction. The heptane in the Elmers stuff you get at Staples doesn't cause the same reaction. Rema patch kits use an actual vulcanizing fluid, which is why they work better, in my experience.

You should be able to find a can of the vulcanizing fluid in any auto parts place for cheap, or you can just pick up a Rema patch kit at pretty much any local bike shop.

Got any sort of materials handling plant near you ?

They'll have conveyors.

Where there's conveyors, there's belt repair companies...who have 1 lb cans of adhesive.

"Vulcanizing" patch kits such as Rema Tip-Top kits used on bikes and cars use vulcanizing fluid.

There's another kind made by Camel/Schrader that uses plain rubber squares and rubber cement.

A word of caution:

Repirs on tires ought to also include some reinforcement to "bridge" the damaged area. Those who have taken "Strength of Materials" classes will have learned to call this "stress concentration".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back