Innertubes

27 X 1-1/4, 700 20-28 Schrader valve. I replaced innertube several weeks ago. Stem separated from tube. I understand this is becoming common now. New tube developed pinhole close to stem. 2 days ago. No rim roughness. No hole roughness. I've noticed tubes do not hold pressure for very long. No the valve is not leaking. I noticed the innertube was stuck to the inside of Pasela tire. Had to peel it out like it was glued. Never had that happen before. Tube was Teravail brand.

Not able to patch the pinhole as it was too close to stem. Tried peel and stick patch but did not hold. Is there innertube brand that will hold pressure for a while? I do not care if heavier. I did check tire for foreign objects.

Saw this superglue and paper patch on YouTube:
(DIY) How To Patch A Bike Tube Without A Patch Kit *House Hold Iteams*

I will try as I have nothing to loose.

I thought about using piece of old innertube with rubber cement for a patch. Only saw Gorilla Glue rubber cement and Elmers rubber cement. Was not sure they were really rubber cement so took a pass.

Want to say, as a kid I did patch at least one tube with some cut up inner tube pieces?

Thing is, tube repair kits are cheap. I buy 2 or 3 when I run low, and they last years. Only thing is though, the cement dries out eventually. So wait until I get a stack of 5 and repair all at once. That is about once a year. That way, on the road I just swap, later at home I can deal with the bad tube.

Tubes are not cheap! but I think I have only lost 2 over the last few years? one in a new to me wheel (valve damage) the other a couple years ago, low quality out of the box, tube was literally too thin in one spot.

What kind of kits? All available in my town are the tiny peel and stick. They have poor reputation. Who makes good tubes that hold air?

What kind of kits? All available in my town are the tiny peel and stick. They have poor reputation. Who makes good tubes that hold air?
For a year or two, those stick-and-peel kits were the only ones available at my closest local bike shops.

They're now carrying the conventional repair kits again.

Not finding them where I live. What do consider to be a conventional repair Kit?
Are tubes just made cheaper now? Are there environmental restrictions on what the tubes can be made of that is causing tubes to not hold pressure for more than a week?

When I was a kid my dad used patches you lit on fire

They never failed. Why in the world were those discontinued?

Yeah those Camel Vulcanizing patch kits. I saw where somebody got an old one on eBay. I'm guessing they would probably melt through a lot of the cheap innertubes today. You vulcanize with heat not glue. I used them when I was a kid on my 1961 Schwinn Continental. Tubes just lasted back then. You never replaced a tube unless you did something really stupid, None of that coming apart at the seams or stems coming attached.

I hope somebody does a DIY Camel vulcanizing kit on YouTube.

I tried the Superglue and it did work but not every time. Debating if I want to try finding a patching kit and patching a bunch of tubes I have. I never had any luck patching.

A conventional patch kit would include cold vulcanized patches. The classic was the Rema Tip Top . Tubes have gotten much worse in the last few years, and so have tires. I hate to say it, but it’s a race to the bottom.
I don’t patch tubes as a rule (I don’t have to) except for the occasional handmade tubular. I can give you some tips though. Use the cold vulcanizing patches. Scuff up the tubes. Use a fair amount of glue. Press the patch on firmly. Modified vice grips work well. Let the patch sit for a long time. At least ten minutes. Let the glue set up for a long time before affixing the patch. Failure to do these two things is what causes failure.
The best tubes are made by tire makers and are seamless. You can still get good tubes (and tires) but it’s hard to find them and the popular brands have really gone downhill. I think I’ve seen more new tubes fail in the last two years than I’ve seen in my whole career, which is now entering its 46th year.

I tried the Superglue and it did work but not every time. Debating if I want to try finding a patching kit and patching a bunch of tubes I have. I never had any luck patching.
Forget the super glue, it's not meant to patch an inner tube.Get a patch kit. I never had a problem after patching a bike tube.

When tubes stick to the tire it can create asymmetric stretch which increases likelihood of tears or punctures. A light sprinkling of talc prevents this. Most "baby powder" is no longer talc but corn starch, so look for "Rema Tire Talc" or similar. Many high quality tubes come already pre-powdered out of the box. After mounting the tube & tire, inflate to around 10-15 PSI then use your hands to bend and stress the bead all the way around the tire to ensure it's properly seated and the tube is not pinched. Then inflate to about half the operating pressure. Spin the tire slowly and look at the rim-bead interface to ensure it is consistent all around on both sides (no wide or thin spots). If not even, deflate and repeat. If it is, inflate to operating pressure and you're done.

The best patch kits I've seen are "Rema Tip Top" as mentioned above. I've used them since the 1980s and you can still buy them.

If you're running into QC problems, try a name brand tube like Continental or Vittoria.

Remember when you were a kid and no matter what you were trying to buy, the salesperson would always ask "What you need that for?" Almost like they were expecting you to be up to no good. That made me mad and I used to reply "You run your mouth and I run my business" or something bratty like that. Anyway, those hot vulcanizing patches would have been my first choice had they still been around. I would have "patched" everything with them. I've never shied away from off-label usage.

Forget the super glue, it's not meant to patch an inner tube.Get a patch kit. I never had a problem after patching a bike tube.
I have used super glue on other rubber items. Super strong grip but have not used it on tubes. Maybe the constant flexing and inflation weakens the bond

Are we doing the required prep in the tube before patching and inspecting the tire to see if the cause of the flat is still in the tire?

I've successfully used Stan's notubes in a tube. You can also buy the cold vulcanizing compound at an autoparts store and make your own patches out of old innertubes. They certainly aren't as nice as one with a feathered edge, but you'd probably only notice on a narrow section tire (maybe).

Back