Pennzoil yellow bottle or Motorcraft blend 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone and just curious on this subject. Would I benefit any at all by using motorcraft syn blend 5w20 over Pennzoil yellow bottle? Have quite a few friends that use the syn blend Motorcraft. Currently using the syn blend in the 03' civic with 115k on it; never a problem with the car at all. May go back to using Super Tech 5w20 as used it for 30,000 before I used some motorcraft syn blend. No problems with the Super Tech either. Was going 6k oci's with super tech also.

thanks in advance

Adam

Thanks stubbakatt, and lately PYB and ST 5W20 have been cheapest around my area (pittsburgh and in punxsutawney PA ). Always heard and saw that pennzoil and the SUPER TECH oils were good as no one i know has had or had any problems with em' either. I dont buy the sludge [censored] with q.s. or pennzoil either.

thanks,

adam

Any 5w20 oil will do just fine in that D17 series engine. My mom has a 2001 Civic and my dad has a 2005 Civic and I always use the least expensive oil I can find.

Hows your job search going ?

Still working as a mechanic for the rental car company, still busy. Did ya read my post in general and off topic?

adam

still looking in NC area but this economy still sucks.

You said you applied with Siemens in NC and I gave you some advice via PM.

Yep, the economy does suck and its only gonna get worse.

I was down in the area, looked at few other possibilities. I took your advice also. I think ANY company/corporation is scared to hire anyone nowadays honestly with all the druggies and deadbeats out there.

I would stay with the MC Syn Blend SN rated as I believe it is just a tick better than PYB . At $14.50 or less here is how I rate the name brand dino 5 qrt jugs at WM :

1. Motor Craft Syn Blend
2. Pennzoil Yellow Bottle
3. Mobil Super 5000
4. Quaker State Green Bottle

This year I plan to run every one of them for a 3 ~ 4K OCI in my Hyundai Elantra and use my butt dyno to rank how my engine likes them. Then I want to pick what I believe are the two best for my vehicle and get UOA's done . * I believe the above in SN rating are the fab four of dino oils. Formula Shell and Chevron Supreme get honorable mentions ...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I would stay with the MC Syn Blend SN rated as I believe it is just a tick better than PYB . At $14.50 or less here is how I rate the name brand dino 5 qrt jugs at WM :

1. Motor Craft Syn Blend
3. Mobil Super 5000

This year I plan to run every one of them for a 3 ~ 4K OCI in my Hyundai Elantra and use my butt dyno to rank how my engine likes them. Then I want to pick what I believe are the two best for my vehicle and get UOA's done . * I believe the above in SN rating are the fab four of dino oils. Formula Shell and Chevron Supreme get honorable mentions ...

Based on cost & value at my local Walmart(we ALL know all of these oils will easily do 3-6k) this is my ranking.

1. Mobil Super 5K $11.50
2. Valvoline Maxlife $13.50
3. QS Green Bottle $13
4. Motorcraft Syn Blend $14
5. PYB $14.50

***IF I were in the NE states where XOM produces Super Tech oil esp in SN flavor @ $10, that would be my #1 choice as it has been proven its basically the same as XOM Super Flo.

NightRiderQ45 : Based on your criteria I would +1 your ranking . * Is QSGB up to $13.00 now for 5 qrt jug at WM ? If so , Mobil Super 5000 @ $11.50 just became an even better deal !

Of the OP's two original oils, I'd pick the PYB. That's just personal preference though, as both are very good oils. Can't go wrong with either of them. However, if it were my money I'd just use QSGB in 5w20, as it is cheaper, available in jugs, and will work just as well.

You forgot to add WM SuperTech Dino oil. Comparable to Havoline and Motorcraft Dino oils and most likely good for 5K. Someone had posted that the price was $9 for 5 quart jug.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

1. Motor Craft Syn Blend
3. Mobil Super 5000

Based on cost & value at my local Walmart(we ALL know all of these oils will easily do 3-6k) this is my ranking.

1. Mobil Super 5K $11.50
3. QS Green Bottle $13
5. PYB $14.50

***IF I were in the NE states where XOM produces Super Tech oil esp in SN flavor @ $10, that would be my #1 choice as it has been proven its basically the same as XOM Super Flo.

NightRiderQ45 : Based on your criteria I would +1 your ranking . * Is QSGB up to $13.00 now for 5 qrt jug at WM ? If so , Mobil Super 5000 @ $11.50 just became an even better deal !
It's $13 dollars here, that's why by far MS5K and Val ML are the best bang for the buck. PYB priced themselves out for me IMO...maybe they been to this site too many times lol.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
You forgot to add WM SuperTech Dino oil. Comparable to Havoline and Motorcraft Dino oils and most likely good for 5K. Someone had posted that the price was $9 for 5 quart jug.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

1. Motor Craft Syn Blend
3. Mobil Super 5000

1. Mobil Super 5K $11.50
3. QS Green Bottle $13
5. PYB $14.50

Hey Mongo, I didn't forget to mention. I put a disclaimer at the bottom for ST oil. You are in NY so most likely your ST is XOM so that would definitely be my #1. In the South in my region, its WPP, so I'll stick with MC5K for just a $1.50 extra.

Hey and thank all of you guys for the advice. Think I will stick with the motorcraft syn blend. Other question is how much synthetic oil is in the Motorcraft syn blend and other synthetic blends? Friend of mine at work that has a 09' ford escape is usin motorcraft syn blend up to 7500 oci with motorcraft filter. He says it stays amber looking little longer than with dino oil.

adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back