Dodge Viper / Mobil 1 comparisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron-Indy,

The spectrographic analysis of oil can't tell the difference between elemental silicon, silica from dirt, silicone from gaskets leaching, and silicone from the antifoam additive in the oil. Diesel lubes have a very effective antifoam additive...that's probably what you saw in the Delvac 1 analysis.

Ken

Thanks, Patman, the extra moly in the Schaeffer oil is easy to point to but your answer was much more complete and paints a better picture of what's going on.

Ken2 I think diesel anti-foaming additives are a little different in some diesel oils, There's a sample of Red Line virgin diesel oil somewhere on this site and it doesn't show their typical 10-12ppms of silicon. You might want to see if you can find it.

--- Bror Jace

"I notice that in a few of the virgin samples silicon is in the unused oil, for example, 6 ppm in Delvac 1. Is that by design?"

yes, silicon is used in some oils as an anti-foam agent.

--Matt

Anyone else driving a Viper and would want to sample their oil?
grin.gif

Oh god....look at that torque curve
shocked.gif
...begging for a lead foot to kill the tires.....-...-------__-...drooling....
bowdown.gif

I hate you Ron.....boooo!

Rick
grin.gif

EDIT; Here is my graph for comparison....Lid, FRA and Cat-Back.....time to get some equalizer, aka N2O!!
Graph

[ September 21, 2003, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

One thing I forgot to mention....my dyno graph above does NOT include the Hooker cat back....I'm hoping that mod boosted HP and TQ by at least 10....which I think it did.
Rick

Ron - You really know how to hurt a guy, don't you? The Viper was bad enough, but now we find out you have a rare Trans-Am also! Can I come live in your garage?

These are two of my favorite cars. If you had a big block 'vette that would make it three.

Seeing that this is based on the old LA series Dodge V8's I do not see a problem with the numbers at all. I am assumeing that you drive this in a semi-agressive fashion on a semi-regular bases. It is also safe to assume that she sits alot based on year and low milage.
Most of the iron is probably from the sitting. As the oil drains off the parts they begin to get surface rust. When you run her she deposits all those rust particles into the oil. This happens even more in the winter then in the summer but it happens no mater what.

It is normaly even after break in for the wear numbers to be a bit elavated. Compared to alot "not all" of the LS1 UOA reports this looks great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back