Maruyama Mixture Mahem

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US an oil mix of 50:1 is specified, below the equator things suddenly change to 25:1. You can check it out here
http://www.maruyama-us.com/uploadedFiles...s/BL3100%20.pdf
and here
http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/maruyama/manuals/bl3100.pdf

Then there's Tanaka's instructions on the issue:
Fuel
• Always use branded 89 octane unleaded gasoline.
• Use Tanaka two-cycle oil or a quality two-cycle oil at mixing ratio of 25-50:1 (Gasoline (A) : Oil (B)), only for the
state of California at 50: 1.
• Never use multi-grade oil (10 W/30) or waste oil.
• Always mix fuel and oil in a separate clean container.

Are any of you using these uber rich mixtures? Have you had success? Problems?

I have been using a 40:1 mix under the theory of playing it safe, but now I wonder if I shouldn't just go hog wild. After all it will still be within the manufacturer's recommendations someplace.

I run tons of two cycle engines at ratios of 32 to 40:1. No problems with anything.

Engine recommended ratios are anywhere from 20:1 to 50:1 with most being closer to 50:1. Unless you're running some real old engines, 40:1 is good. If you're going to be flogging the engine hard, use 32:1.

I have an older chainsaw and weed eater that specs 40:1. Newer pole saw and 2 cycle generator spec 50:1.. everything gets 40:1. No extra smoking or any other problems on the stuff speced for 50:1.

Johnny, same as you with the Lawnboy's and everything else.

I'm just confused by such a wide range of acceptable mixes.

They may as well have said "mix it to the color you like and the piston won't score nor will the rings stick".

Originally Posted By: Tom_T

They may as well have said "mix it to the color you like and the piston won't score nor will the rings stick".

crackmeup2.gif
That works for me.

Originally Posted By: Tom_T
In the US an oil mix of 50:1 is specified, below the equator things suddenly change to 25:1. You can check it out here
http://www.maruyama-us.com/uploadedFiles...s/BL3100%20.pdf
and here
http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/maruyama/manuals/bl3100.pdf

Then there's Tanaka's instructions on the issue:
Fuel
• Always use branded 89 octane unleaded gasoline.
• Use Tanaka two-cycle oil or a quality two-cycle oil at mixing ratio of 25-50:1 (Gasoline (A) : Oil (B)), only for the
state of California at 50: 1.
• Never use multi-grade oil (10 W/30) or waste oil.
• Always mix fuel and oil in a separate clean container.

Are any of you using these uber rich mixtures? Have you had success? Problems?

I have been using a 40:1 mix under the theory of playing it safe, but now I wonder if I shouldn't just go hog wild. After all it will still be within the manufacturer's recommendations someplace.

50:1 in the US is because of EPA...emission pollution. Also the 4 stroke hybrid is because of California EPA again.

Just noting the 4 stroke hybid(Shindaiwa) has great torque performance, extra boost. Sadly the Shindaiwa C4(EB2510 hand held blower) high torque stroke engine on a commercial level is costing for repairs and it's not the oil(Shindaiwa One) at 50:1. Rather the design of the engine is puzzling.

For home usage with low hour usage I would recommend it if you want strong torque performance, the hand held blower did more than it asked for.

On a commercial level with high hour usage 2 stroke would be the way to go with lower repair cost!

anything modern is fine on 50;1, i have a cheap blower craftsman/poulan that requires 40;1, and its only ever had 50;1, never a problem. maruymama i can assure you is modern enough to be 50;1, 25;1 is pretty much unheard of, ppl run 32;1 or 40;1 in modern machienes and thats fine, if they like oil leaking out of muffler and or clogging the muffler screen if equiped

I started out 30 yrs ago mixing a rich 32:1 for my Stihl which specs 40:1. In addition to the saw , I picked up a Lawnboy, specs 32:1 and a Husquvarna weed wacker, 50:1. I also add a cap full of MMO to each tank. If the equip starts smoking , it is usually because the mix is getting old. Thank you very little EPA, for killing off 2 stroke engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back