Any reason NOT to get an AGM battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you called the dealer parts and got the price on the OEM battery? Given your concerns, that would be the best choice. It might be expensive but at least you would be assured that it will not leak. I am assuming BMW went and did their own due diligence in selecting the correct battery for this application. So instead of $100, it might cost you $200 but when spread over 5 year period, that is still peanuts.

Frankly, you are over-analyzing this too much.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Have you called the dealer parts and got the price on the OEM battery? Given your concerns, that would be the best choice. It might be expensive but at least you would be assured that it will not leak. I am assuming BMW went and did their own due diligence in selecting the correct battery for this application. So instead of $100, it might cost you $200 but when spread over 5 year period, that is still peanuts.

Frankly, you are over-analyzing this too much.

- Vikas

The dealer wants something like $360 for a battery - no thanks. I read/googled somewhere that Deka actually purchased the OE business from Douglas (who makes BMW dealer batteries in North America) so the Deka OE exact-fit may very well be exactly what I'd get from the dealer except in black plastic instead of white.

Over-analyzing? That would be a first for BITOG
smile.gif

OMG, please don't oblige the stealership with a battery purchase!

In my car the battery is also trunk mounted with a vent tube. Almost 300 bucks at a dealer, 79.00 at Wal Mart!

And don't fall for a "sealed" battery. They aren't. When their pressure rises above a predetermined point they blow a vent valve and vent like any other. No real advantage.

We used to run Interstates in all our fleet trucks with no complaints. Sounds like yours is just a fluke.

Originally Posted By: meep

I've seen UPS's pop larger batteries in a glorious and "glad-they're-in-a-metal-case" fashion. I think because UPS can do a 20 minute full drain on any battery at top-current until they're drained, it's a unique circumstance.

All of the ones I'm talking about failed on float charge and there hadn't been a power failure in months and the UPS wasn't loaded to max anyhow. They just up and decided to short internally one day.

Quote:
I'd also be curious if they are really AGM....

From what I've read, most all SLAs these days are AGM.

Quote:
Most consumer UPS replacement batts I've seen are just gel cells.

These were APC originals.

Quote:
HEAT-- agree- this is a big factor. I do believe (opinion) that AGM's don't handle heat as well.

They suffer from thermal runaway.

Originally Posted By: yeti
craig -- i read some of the other thread, and i found it amusing.i don't understand why some do various testing on a battery, and agonize over it's purchase, when they will buy one anyway.
my nearly 5 yr. old battery died recently, due to dome lights left on, by accident.my neighbor drove me to canadian tire, where i bought their top end eliminator for about $115. 3/9 yr.warranty, and about 900 CCA. i buy the highest CCA battery that will fit in my battery tray.after a total time of 20- 25 minutes, we had the new one installed, and were having a brandy.
eliminator, or w-mart's everstart(?) for a 3/9 yr. warranty and the highest CCA that will fit in your tray -- that's it - done.doesn't matter what brand name you buy. you'll get the odd bad one from any brand. that's fact.
THAT is why i don't spend a lot of time on what is essentially a mickey mouse decision.maybe, it's because i'm lazy. i mean no disrespect -- but you 'gotta be honest -- a battery buying decision is not a big deal -- we're not talking about cold fusion here.it's a plastic box with lead plates, and acid.
at any rate, good luck, and have a good night.

+1, same goes for oil
laugh.gif

The MB battery group 49 in my '00 E430 is 6 years old now. I may need a replacement soon, local MB dealer wants more than $200 when I asked last year. The warranty was 2 years free replacement and 6 years prorate.

I registered with Fordparts.com, if they give me a discount coupon in the future, I'll buy this BXT-49 from a local Ford dealer. I was thinking about Walmart Everstart Maxx, but their warranty is 3 years free replacement only, they dropped the 8 years prorate.

As much maligned as they are on this board, I've seriuosly abused the Optimas I've owned, and they still lasted beyond my highest expectations! (Last one 8+ years; car NEVER garaged, VERY stiff suspension, listened to stereo for hours on end with the engine off, etc.)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
As much maligned as they are on this board, I've seriuosly abused the Optimas I've owned, and they still lasted beyond my highest expectations! (Last one 8+ years; car NEVER garaged, VERY stiff suspension, listened to stereo for hours on end with the engine off, etc.)

From what I read about Optima, they were great 10 years ago and have gone downhill lately. If you've had one last 8 years, perhaps you got on board when they were still good.

If I wanted a battery for that application right now, I would get a Deka AGM instead of an Optima. The AGM no-spill technology is a differentiator but spiral cells don't serve a purpose, IMO.

I bought a cheap everlast from Walmart 6 years ago for wife's Caravan and still going strong.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

From what I read about Optima, they were great 10 years ago and have gone downhill lately. If you've had one last 8 years, perhaps you got on board when they were still good.

If I wanted a battery for that application right now, I would get a Deka AGM instead of an Optima. The AGM no-spill technology is a differentiator but spiral cells don't serve a purpose, IMO.

I didn't even know that Deka made an AGM, have to look into that.

But so far, the new Optima Red top has been flawless (maybe I got a 'Wednesday built' battery??), but time will tell.
wink.gif

I too have had Optima's for years. Zero issue. Have had a newer one in my truck for a year. It's been great. It's just like with an expensive oil on this board, all the cheapskate blue light specials cry about it. Who has proof that the optima has gone downhill??? Oh, one went bad so that makes optima [censored]. I come here often for laughs
smirk.gif

To answer the original question. Too much money & too little warranty. You can buy a top grade regular battery for 1/2 the dollars and get a better replacement warranty and many of them supply good service for 6+ years. Enough said from me.

Originally Posted By: yeti
craig -- i read some of the other thread, and i found it amusing.i don't understand why some do various testing on a battery, and agonize over it's purchase, when they will buy one anyway.
my nearly 5 yr. old battery died recently, due to dome lights left on, by accident.my neighbor drove me to canadian tire, where i bought their top end eliminator for about $115. 3/9 yr.warranty, and about 900 CCA. i buy the highest CCA battery that will fit in my battery tray.after a total time of 20- 25 minutes, we had the new one installed, and were having a brandy.
eliminator, or w-mart's everstart(?) for a 3/9 yr. warranty and the highest CCA that will fit in your tray -- that's it - done.doesn't matter what brand name you buy. you'll get the odd bad one from any brand. that's fact.
THAT is why i don't spend a lot of time on what is essentially a mickey mouse decision.maybe, it's because i'm lazy. i mean no disrespect -- but you 'gotta be honest -- a battery buying decision is not a big deal -- we're not talking about cold fusion here.it's a plastic box with lead plates, and acid.
at any rate, good luck, and have a good night.

Yeah I agree. I just have had such few problems with batteries that it's not something I angst over or splurge on.
I had a 95 jetta for 13yrs and never had an issue. A deer totaled the car. My 2004 Ram's battery was still going strong and I just replaced just to be safe. (I drive 100 miles a day). My wifes 2000 caravan oem battery did die in 2006 and a cheap walmart everstart replacement still going strong since then.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
To answer the original question. Too much money & too little warranty. You can buy a top grade regular battery for 1/2 the dollars and get a better replacement warranty and many of them supply good service for 6+ years. Enough said from me.

I have also had bad experiences with two different Optima batteries. I just buy the best warranted product now.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I too have had Optima's for years. Zero issue. Have had a newer one in my truck for a year. It's been great. It's just like with an expensive oil on this board, all the cheapskate blue light specials cry about it. Who has proof that the optima has gone downhill??? Oh, one went bad so that makes optima [censored]. I come here often for laughs
smirk.gif

I'm not trying to perpetuate the statement that Optima has gone "downhill" - I have no opinion. I remember back in 2000 they were the king of batteries (but weren't available in the sizes I needed) but in recent searches I found a lot of bad press and complaints about declining quality, people getting multiple bad units etc...

Ten years ago it seemed like Optima were the only people doing a "no spill" style of battery, and they also had their marketing machinery touting the spiral technology too. Lots of people with "special interest" vehicles flocked to Optima as one of the only options if they wanted to be guaranteed not to have acid problems. That's not the case today, and I don't buy the math that 6 spirals has higher density than stacked rectangle sandwiches when it's contained in a rectangular box. Based on that, I mentioned the AGM option from Deka (and Odyssey) if "no spill" is a priority for the buyer.

There's apparently some kind of killer deal on at O'Reillys for Deka/East Penn made group 49 AGM batteries for $100. I couldn't take advantage of it but I know some folks who have bought multiples and are happy so far. You can't beat that price for AGM in that size, that's for sure. I haven't heard anything about them being old, seconds or scratch/dent either.

My saturn has a trunk mounted battery with a vented tube that drops down under the car.

I could only find one place that sold it aftermarket, and the price was the same as what I could get at the dealer with my buddies employee discount. I stuck with the OEM GM.

I contacted Optima, they don't sell a vented battery for my application, and they don't recommend mounting one of their batteries in the trunk without a venting system.

My girlfriend has a car with a more conventional GM battery. I think her battery was $47 for a Walmart battery. No problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back