Real World Oil Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Most sportbike engines are not as hard on oil and his mix master so real world being if the oil holds up well in his tests it will certainly hold up in applications that are less oil intensive.
There's some truth to this, but on the other hand a touring bike like a 1800cc Goldwing can use oils that work fine and would not give acceptable results in the "mix master". So I can see his results being valid for his type of bike, but not for every style of motor made. That would be like saying the oil used in a Nitro methane funny car, would be the right oil to use in your Honda civic.,,

It is a good judging of viscosity longevity in worst of extremes, ofcourse these oils are only in the bike for a few hours.

I dont view viscosity degrade the determining factor of which oil to use. At worst every 1ow40 oil on the market is capable of 1500 to 2500 mile on a street bike easily of the harshest type.

Wear and cleaniless, becomes much more a factor when running oils for 1000's of miles. But in most motorcycles, will drop a full grade in 1500 miles, thats a given. So some group two oils may do okay intially, but doesnt really say anything about long term. My own street use, 2500 mile on a diesl, and 1500 mile on a car oil,as long as it shiftes well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Quote:
That would be like saying the oil used in a Nitro methane funny car, would be the right oil to use in your Honda civic.,,

Come on man you are reaching on that one. That is quite an extreme.

Sunruh simply did a test that helps show how oils hold in a bike that is hard on oil. That is all it was and I thank him for it.

It someone else wants to do a better test than please do but do not knock people for trying to help.

Come on? Have you even read his posts? He didn't even mention the type of vehicle he was testing the oil in until I asked. Just said this oil is bad, that oil is [censored], turned to water in an hour or so. And now that we know what the subject was, still doesn't make it an absolute iron clad test. Only his experience. I'm not saying he's wrong with his test results for his bike, just the oils he says are no good or don't hold up, have and will continue to work for the rest of the world just fine. Maybe just not in his bike.,,

Sorry Cahuna, I took for granted that most folks on the board know Sunrah and the testing he has been doing over the years.

Well, sunruh & rraiderr, I agree with your conclusions, but IMHO the "regular" Full Synthetic AMSOIL 20W-50 is also a good motorcycle oil. As is their "regular" Full Synthetic 10W-40 & the 15W-40 AME versions... For the "regular" application in a streetbike.

Racing a YAMAHA YZ250F is in no way the "regular" application or usage for 99.?% of motorcyclists. It is a great testbed but I have to question the actual relevance to the much more common motorcycle usage most of us enjoy.

Why do you think there are "RACING" oils to begin with? There are also "RACING" batteries that save a couple pounds and cost hundreds, even thousands in automotive sizes.

Knowing that for your purposes most 10W-40 PCMO's (even those that are advertized as being "motorcycle specific" @ $8+ per quart) don't stay in grade in a race does not mean some won't perform in a 250cc Honda Rebel. Knowing some dino 20W-50's stay in grade better than others is great, but it is mostly in your specific application. A few Harley owners should also probably take note, as well.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
Sorry Cahuna, I took for granted that most folks on the board know Sunrah and the testing he has been doing over the years.

I dont know him or the tests that he has conducted. I would love to see his results though. Does he have them posted somewhere or something? If so please PM me as i would like to look at them.

Originally Posted By: jstutz

I dont know him or the tests that he has conducted. I would love to see his results though. Does he have them posted somewhere or something? If so please PM me as i would like to look at them.

PM him and he is a very cool guy and has tons of data from over the years.

Amsoil redisigned the 20w50 a while back, its far heavier viscosity than it was. Youd probably have to ride that stuff 2,000 mile , just to get it to break down alittle.

Originally Posted By: jstutz

They are in the motorcycle oil analysis section, not sure what word to search with though, might try sunruh and see what that pulls up

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Amsoil redisigned the 20w50 a while back, its far heavier viscosity than it was. Youd probably have to ride that stuff 2,000 mile , just to get it to break down alittle.

I am running it in my track bike and plan to do some oil analysis after each track day to see how it handles multiple sessions.

I will post up the results.

Yes, the 20w50 seems a bit thicker now. Changes my opinion about running it in high revving sportbikes even in summer.

Funny that. Mobil did the same with the V-Twin MC oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back