Stilko oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back in the 70s a guy trying to sell me a stilko oil filter. It was basically a case that held a roll of toilet paper. Periodically you loosened the filter, threw away the old roll and inserted a new fresh roll of tp. Voila, you never buy another oil filter. They had a display in which they ran what was supposedly dirty oil through a fram and then through the Stilko. The fram didn't clean it up very much but the stilk brought back the out of the bottle color. I checked the web and the company apparently still exists and they still have the same display, albeit now on the web. Anyone know somebody who used one of these things? I'm not interested in buying one but I am shocked that they're still around 35 years later.

I gotta check that out!

That is hard to believe 1/100th of a micron filtration, won't filter out additives?

"Cools oil 2o to 5oC" why don't they use a zero?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I gotta check that out!

That is hard to believe 1/100th of a micron filtration, won't filter out additives?

"Cools oil 2o to 5oC" why don't they use a zero?

They probably mean 2 to 5 degrees and were shooting for that little floating "o" used to represent degrees of arc, and ended up with a standard lower case o

If you look in the bypass filter section you can find some info on this setup. I have thought about it several times, but a good roll of tp is getting about as expensive as an oil filter LOL.

One thing they do not talk about is the need to replenish your oil with fresh oil/additives.. BUT people run horrendous OCI's by doing a TP change, and when doing this they also change out a small portion of oil.. so in sense they are doing a ongoing oil change with a oil filter setup that keeps the contaminants out of the oil. One more not is that this type of setup is favorable to diesel engines, or engines with large sumps in order to really get that bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back