Everyone's Favorite Disk Brake Glue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disc brake quiet is outdated and should NOT be used in any modern braking system today.

If any compound is to be used, it is synthetic brake caliper grease or Molykote77.

The disc brake quiet "glue" will damage shims, as stated by Wagner and other brake manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: dparm
CRC's red stuff has worked for me on many cars. It's cheap and readily available.

This is what I use. Works fine.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Disc brake quiet is outdated and should NOT be used in any modern braking system today.

If any compound is to be used, it is synthetic brake caliper grease or Molykote77.

The disc brake quiet "glue" will damage shims, as stated by Wagner and other brake manufacturers.

Don't put it on the parts it shouldn't be on. I will continue to use it because it does the job its suppose to do. As for slider lubrication, I've found Sil Glyde is great.

The Wagner ThermoQuiets specifically said not to use anything.

Otherwise I use SilGlyde on the pad backs just like I use on the slide pins.

on some of the older cars the disc brakes sort of rattle around the glue helps a lot...Just curious what kind of glue everyone likes

I've never had a use for any brake quiet substance for any brake jobs I've done. I always replace the hardware and lube the neccesary parts. Guess I've been lucky.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: dparm
CRC's red stuff has worked for me on many cars. It's cheap and readily available.

This is what I use. Works fine.

this is what i use also! works fine! and avaiable at any parts store!

It's not a glue, but I've used the 'green stuff' for years, except it's got a Carquest label on it. It's gooey enough to hold shims in place and makes a wicked pin and slide lubricant.

51RASG8WZ2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Joel

This isn't true, the physics behind disc brake systems hasn't changed since they were invented. It may be true that modern brakes have less of a tendency to be noisy than older discs but they still can be noisy. I personally use Wurth CU1100 copper anti-sieze, it works really well. I don't recommend any RTV type glue but if you do use it I recommend stomping on the pedal before it cures to get some of the RTV out. It's not a more is better situation.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker

This isn't true, the physics behind disc brake systems hasn't changed since they were invented. It may be true that modern brakes have less of a tendency to be noisy than older discs but they still can be noisy. I personally use Wurth CU1100 copper anti-sieze, it works really well. I don't recommend any RTV type glue but if you do use it I recommend stomping on the pedal before it cures to get some of the RTV out. It's not a more is better situation.

Maybe Critic is thinking of the instructions on the CRC bottle that say to only use the product on NON shimmed pads. Some professional writers claim that the glue will grab onto the shims and can cause them to detach from the pad, rather than sliding around against the caliper.
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05016&S=N

By the book vs. real world experiences is interesting!

Interesting about the copper anti-seize. My local Dodge dealer uses a 3M copper anti seize also.....so much for "no dino oil lubes near brakes".

Have some questions after reading this post.

I have a bottle of this,
41XCS6BC19L._SL500_AA300_.gif

and a bottle of this
51RASG8WZ2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I usually use the permatex lube for slide pins and the rubber boot around the piston. And then use the CRC red stuff on the pads. Is this good or bad or should I be using something else? Someone said the CRC red brake quiet shouldn't be used, and the bottle says not to use it on shimmed pads but it should be fine for non shimmed pads right? Are there times I should be using the permatex caliper grease on the back of the pads, and if so when?

Also, this might be a stupid question, how do you tell if the pads are shimmed? Obviously if there are seperate shims you can tell but do some pads come with shims "molded" in to them? What do pads with built in shims look like and do you use any lube with them?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, just trying to learn something here and do a brake job the right way. I've done about 10 brake jobs or so, none have had seperate shims, just pads and I used the CRC red goo on them. Thanks for your nowledge!

Last edited:
If you'd like to see a pad with a built in shim, look up Wagner Thermoquiets (though some of their pads still use a standard shim). Most other brake pads use a steel/rubber shim on the back of the pad that is either glued or crimped on. They're always visible as a metal plate attached to the backing plate of the pad.

I just googled brake pad pics and it seems like most pads come with shims on them and after seeing the pics I believe most of the pads I have put on also had a shim bilt into them and I have been using the CRC red brake quiet on them which I shouldn't have I guess.

So for the pads that come with shims attached to them do you use anything on the back of them? And when do you use the CRC red brake quiet?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back