How long before the new bars leak liquid works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all. my 95 neon is burning coolant. Theirs white smoke coming out, and takes coolant temperature forever to rise. I had a new head gasket, head milled, new valve seals, water pump, ect done about 1 1/2 year ago. all dealer parts! well this head likes to leak once a year regardless it seems.
I bought this new bars leak liquid, from my local autozone. You add it to the radiator and leave it in. It hastn worked yet, over the past week and 50 miles or so. How long long does it take to start working? Im looknig to seal it up for as long as i can, im not interested anymore in replaceing the headgasket.
any info appreciated! thanks.:)

If you having serious headgasket leaks due to warped head/block or torn head gasket mating surface, nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, will stop/slow down the leak satisfactorily to keep your situation under control.

I'd insist in getting a decent used block and replace your head/block if that's the culprit.

(but then again: I've yet to come across an import block/head that would warp or tear head gaskets as frequently as yours, so something is definitely not right here as I see it).

Q.

Ah isee, thanks quest! Well, it seems to be burning a descent amount. I am curious though, how long should it take this liquid barrs leak to work? like 4 or 500 miles? instantly?

there is a product called Alumaseal which can almost do the impossible. Give it a try, i've had it work when others won't.

lol steve,...i know its a neon : / but only form of transportaton i have for the time being..so thats why im wanting to know how long it takes this bars leak liquid stuff to work...
alumaseal? where can i get it?

i see. well they advertise it would seal all leaks through the engine bloakc and all. I had descent luck with K&W nanotechnology, 2 times. got about 7-8 monhts before it failed few years ago, on 2 occassions.
stop leak? who makes stop leak? where can i buy it?

I was looking online, just 'too look' n know.
Do you mean engine block? or cylinder head? or are they the same? obviously, im not mechanically inclined
smirk.gif

Used this method on my 68, and it held for a year and a half.

drain and remove the thermostat.
reinstall the neck and refill with water.
dump in block sealer product called liquid glass.
remove the plug from the cylinder it's leaking into. you can tell by looking at the plugs what ones leaking.
put cardboard in front of the radiator and start the car.
let the temp get hotter than normal by like 15o.
control the temp by moving the cardboard to keep it steady.
30min later turn it off and allow to cool.
drain and refill w/coolant mix, ,and reinstall a new thermostat. a good one that is. put the plug back in, and off ya go.

I know this worked for me cause when I replaced my head gaskets one of the gaskets metal rings was blown into the cylinder yet it held for over a year. It's not the correct fix, but will buy you some time to sell it, or save up for the new long block.

Originally Posted By: steveh
95 Neon,time to cut your losses!!!

Hey hey now! I bought a 95 Neon 5 speed back on 03... replaced the headgasket 6 months later and that was the best dog gone car I've owned! Never broke down on me! I sold it to my neighbor back on 08 and it finally died about 6 months ago with almost 200,000 on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back