Picking a grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have firm grasp on oil, NOT. I have realized that there are way better greases out there than what I have been using. I have three questions two about different type of applications.

1. I need a grease for my steering linkages on my F350.

2. I need a good grease for my wheel bearings on a travel trailer.

3. Since I have been using a generic grease on the truck can you just put the new grease in or is there a problem with mixing the two?

Thanks.
cheers.gif

I was in your shoes last year and without a doubt use Schaffers 221 or 274 alum. complex grease! Do a search on these 2 and you can read up on them, really good stuff!

I forgot to mention most greases list the soap base on the container so it should be easy to determine compatibility.

Here's some good grease tutorials
Functions of a Grease
Grease technology Part 1
Grease Technology part 2

I use Schaeffer's #221 in the farm machinery,it holds up really well. The aluminum complex thickener will overtake the lithium type greases,if your worried about compatability, grease the bearings and lube points in smaller increments at closer intervals and that should purge the old grease out. I want to try the #274 in the future. I need to get some more Deisel Treat for the fuel tank within the next two weeks, I might get some tubes of it with my order off of Tim
smile.gif

A huge difference in greases is the base oil used. Many of the cheaper greases use Aromatic oils as the base. These have low IV and are more dangerous to handle as they are more cancer-causing than others. They also tend to oxidize much faster. Naftenic base oils are also used extensively, also with a low VI. That is why there is better pumpability and maintenance of consistency with the Group II and PAO formulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back