castrol 5w20 for 2007 honda civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
i convinced my friend to try a synthetic oil in her civic instead of the usual dino. i told the guy at walmart pennzoil ultra but there was a confusion some where and they put castrol 5w20 in there

My questions are
How many miles Do you guys think she could run on the oil. i was thinking 7k or so

how does the oil monitoring system work on those cars. are they accurate. should u run oil all the way down to 0 percent. or could a synthetic go longer

the car has 33k miles on it. She does not drive hard. 50% city, 50%highway

Castrol what?? GTX, Syntec, Edge?? I hope you got your money back, the difference I mean. If it is the Syntec or Edge you could run it to 10-0%. If GTX 6-7K sounds right. The OLM for almost all of the vehicles now are very accurate. They take in to account different driving habits, temp etc. and make a formula for a conventional oil. So really you could run anything decent in there to 0%. It is up to you/her. I change sooner because I enjoy it...I'm weird.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Castrol what?? GTX, Syntec, Edge?? I hope you got your money back, the difference I mean. If it is the Syntec or Edge you could run it to 10-0%. If GTX 6-7K sounds right.

im sorry. its syntec. and how many miles do u estimate it would have reached at 0%

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Castrol what?? GTX, Syntec, Edge?? I hope you got your money back, the difference I mean. If it is the Syntec or Edge you could run it to 10-0%. If GTX 6-7K sounds right. The OLM for almost all of the vehicles now are very accurate. They take in to account different driving habits, temp etc. and make a formula for a conventional oil. So really you could run anything decent in there to 0%. It is up to you/her. I change sooner because I enjoy it...I'm weird.

ok i understand how the system works now. i will do a UOA once it hit 0% to see how much longer it could have went

the oil light gets annoying after 15% since its ALWAYS on when you start the car. I say you follow the MM, use a good quality oil and don't worry about a thing.

If you can stand to press the button every time you start the engine after it passes 15%, I'd run it until at least 0%. A lot of people have a problem with this additional task for some reason, however.

well depends which one she has. a hybrid uses 0W-20 the regular civic including regular rsx uses 5W-20 all temp but the si and rsx type s uses 10W-30 above 20 degrees f and 5W-30 for all temp and is preffered. also the 2006-2008 all models uses the service light to indicate changes. For added info for civics the manuf. recommends for 2001-2005 6 months or 5000 mi ps if it is an auto the interval is 40000 mi and filter should be life long design. This is all according to the manuf. hope it helps.

Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
If you can stand to press the button every time you start the engine after it passes 15%, I'd run it until at least 0%. A lot of people have a problem with this additional task for some reason, however.

Its annoying and isn't worth it, IMO.

I posted a thread in the UOA section of my 07 Civic EX where i ran the meter down to -1,900 miles PAST 0% oil life and i gotta say, it was annoying as heck to see that oil life light for over 3,000 miles after it came on at 15%
banghead.gif

For whatever this is worth, Honda now sells a blend by Conoco that I guess is Motorcraft like,
crazy.gif
Hondas love Motorcraft, and might work well for you. As odd as this might sound Edge gave my 09 fits re. starting.
Originally Posted By: KJack
i convinced my friend to try a synthetic oil in her civic instead of the usual dino. i told the guy at walmart pennzoil ultra but there was a confusion some where and they put castrol 5w20 in there

My questions are
How many miles Do you guys think she could run on the oil. i was thinking 7k or so

how does the oil monitoring system work on those cars. are they accurate. should u run oil all the way down to 0 percent. or could a synthetic go longer

the car has 33k miles on it. She does not drive hard. 50% city, 50%highway

I convinced my friend to try a synthetic oil in her civic instead of the usual dino. I told the guy at walmart pennzoil ultra but there was a confusion and they put castrol 5w20 in there

Im sure there must be more to this story - but are you serious? You told the Wallmart "ASE Certified Tech" to use Pennzoil Ultra and he put Syntec in your engine instead? How could he be "confused" about that? At that rate, did you make sure he put the correct grade (5W-20) in your Civic?

Major thing wrong with this picture: Does Wallmart even offer Pennzoil Ultra (not PYB or Platinum but "Ultra")? I really don't think so. So why would the Service Tech not be crystal clear about that? As you'll find on BITOG, all synthetic oils are not the same. It was unprofessional for the Tech to use Castrol when you specifically mentioned Pennzoil. IMHO, the Tech had no right to fill your engine with something you didn't request (without approving it with you first). That's just rude - almost negligent!

If you dont care, that's one thing. But if bothers you, I would talk to the Service Manager. One more reason why I will NEVER get my service done at Wally World!

Im sure there must be more to this story - but are you serious? You told the Wallmart "ASE Certified Tech" to use Pennzoil Ultra and he put Syntec in your engine instead? How could he be "confused" about that? At that rate, did you make sure he put the correct grade (5W-20) in your Civic?

Major thing wrong with this picture: Does Wallmart even offer Pennzoil Ultra (not PYB or Platinum but "Ultra")? I really don't think so. So why would the Service Tech not be crystal clear about that? As you'll find on BITOG, all synthetic oils are not the same. It was unprofessional for the Tech to use Castrol when you specifically mentioned Pennzoil. IMHO, the Tech had no right to fill your engine with something you didn't request (without approving it with you first). That's just rude - almost negligent!

If you dont care, that's one thing. But if bothers you, I would talk to the Service Manager. One more reason why I will NEVER get my service done at Wally World! [/quote]

yea right, they hire any idiot to change oil hahaha

Originally Posted By: HBCALI
I convinced my friend to try a synthetic oil in her civic instead of the usual dino. I told the guy at walmart pennzoil ultra but there was a confusion and they put castrol 5w20 in there

The walmart in denton tx does sell pennzoil ultra. Its like 26 dollars for a 5 qt jug. She told him castrol when she first pulled up cus she couldnt remember what i told her

i came out of walmart as she was still in line talking to him and told him pennzoil ultra. He said he changed it. When she got the car out the receipt had 4qt of castrol syntec. We went to walmart because she had a gift card.

I use Gc 0w30 im my 4.6 ford. Its a great but i know its different than other castrol oil.

If you dont care, that's one thing. But if bothers you, I would talk to the Service Manager. One more reason why I will NEVER get my service done at Wally World!

Originally Posted By: HBCALI

The walmart in denton tx does sell pennzoil ultra. Its like 26 dollars for a 5 qt jug. She told him castrol when she first pulled up cus she couldnt remember what i told her

i came out of walmart as she was still in line talking to him and told him pennzoil ultra. He said he changed it. When she got the car out the receipt had 4qt of castrol syntec. We went to walmart because she had a gift card.

I use Gc 0w30 im my 4.6 ford. Its a great but i know its different than other castrol oil.

i see that you have an 08 Civic. what% is your oil monitoring system at when you reach 10,000

i see that you have an 08 Civic. what% is your oil monitoring system at when you reach 10,000

I just started doing 10k oil changes. I reset the MM when it got to 0% (8200 miles) because I don't know how it affects whatever else is being monitored by the MM.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
just run amsoil and never change it
just change the filter once a year
and add when its low

Are you now the king of misinformation?

My 07 EX reached 10k with -1,960 miles on the MM past 0%

Originally Posted By: infecto
electrolover said:
just run amsoil and never change it
just change the filter once a year
and add when its low

What do you mean "never change it"? Of course you need to change your oil. I've heard all the hype - my friend is even an AMSOIL dealer. Like I told him, AMSOIL is very bold to claim thier oil can last 35,000+ miles between the OCI. To the best of my knowledge, no OEM even comes close to recognizing such large intervals. Truthfully, I don't care what the "marketing hype" claims. IMHO, anyone who cares about thier vehicle will change the oil more often than once every 3-4 years! I'm not placing that much faith in any manufacturer - especially a marginally known company like AMSOIL.

You should also know, along with some good things, I've also heard first-hand horror stories about AMSOIL results. The company is not infallible. For me, the measure of quality oil is like the story of the "Turtle and the Hare". It's not about who appears to lead the race, it's about who remains consistent and proves themself over time - years, decades, even the century mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back