Grease Substitution Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgf

I have been asked a couple of times to determine a replacement grease for discontinued type of lube (old Texaco products primarily) and was wondering if there is a chart aviable that would give me the info. For example if I need to replace an old Texaco AFB type grease with a Mobil product what would I use. I can go through the properties and make a choice but a quick reference would be ideal. Any help would be appreciated. RGF

That would not be the correct way to find a replacement grease. What you should do, might I suggest is, look at the requriements set by the manufacture of the equipment and find your alternative that way. Manytimes, the grease being used on hand can be incorrect to start with and then you try replaceing that grease with an alternative that may not be suitable to your equipment needs.

The only thing to keep in mind is grease compatiblity as you may find you switching to some other brand and the complex may not mix and cause hardening. To eliminate that if not sure, would be to completely remove exisiting grease prior to use of a new grease.

That's what I look for is how schaeffers alum complex is going to work with other complex's, which most time will with no problem.

I agree with the methodology you suggest. In this latest case the vendor is no longer in business and the info is not aviable. I did find a good replacement based on the application and enviroment. With the consolidations/mergers/buy-outs in the lubrication business determing a replacement lubericant has become a frequent request. rgf

I know what you mean. What I try and do is consolidate grease applications. Many times I'm able to get one grease to work in most if not all applications in one plant, thus keeping problems with mixing greases down to nothing.

I do things the way Bob does. I got our grease usage down to two types, a general purpose grease (happens to be brown) and a high temp resistant grease (this one is red). I even rewrote maintenance instructions for everything giving both the grease name and the color just to minimize mixing (one is lith complex base and the other is silica base).

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by 68redlines73:
I assume you could also buy the current version? Sounds like the key spec is the mention of GE D6A2C5. Here's the Mobil equivalent.

That's where we have 3 different types of grease that can fill in for that one type...
Mobilith SHC 100- #221 #2 or 238#2 or 274 #2

Thats why you look up the application in which it is to be used in, because many times, 1 grease can take care of what 3 or 4 greases from another company can handle.

Hey Bob...

So all of those Schaeffer greases are recommended for high speed electric motor bearings? Some of the oil viscosities are somewhat high. Also, should the GE D6A2C5 spec be ignored?

Thanks for your insights and experience!

[ January 20, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: 68redlines73 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back