Additives and Smog Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got to thinking because last week I had a smog test on one of the vehicles. Although it passed, I noticed the HC was a good bit higher than average. A few days ago I started using MMO in the fuel, so I got to thinking, had I started using the MMO then got the smog test, what effect would the MMO have for smog test results?

There have been in past years on some of my vehicles I had ran a bottle of that Emission Potion stuff in the bottle sold at local auto stores. Don't know if it ever did any good or not, but haven't used it now in a few years.

I have also had a couple years ago a smog tech said next time to use the high octane fuel, run the vehicle hot, then bring it in for a smog test. I didn't do what he said as that vehicle had passed with flying colors then, and again last year.

So I'm back to using MMO for my daily vehicle, one of the motorcycles (HD), and lawnmower fuel tanks. I had used it before years ago on a K-5 Blazer, but been absent of it's use for some time... So for now back to MMO

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Just got to thinking because last week I had a smog test on one of the vehicles. Although it passed, I noticed the HC was a good bit higher than average. A few days ago I started using MMO in the fuel, so I got to thinking, had I started using the MMO then got the smog test, what effect would the MMO have for smog test results?

There have been in past years on some of my vehicles I had ran a bottle of that Emission Potion stuff in the bottle sold at local auto stores. Don't know if it ever did any good or not, but haven't used it now in a few years.

I have also had a couple years ago a smog tech said next time to use the high octane fuel, run the vehicle hot, then bring it in for a smog test. I didn't do what he said as that vehicle had passed with flying colors then, and again last year.

So I'm back to using MMO for my daily vehicle, one of the motorcycles (HD), and lawnmower fuel tanks. I had used it before years ago on a K-5 Blazer, but been absent of it's use for some time... So for now back to MMO

Run the vehicle hot is the key. Cold engine run with very rich fuel and the result is high HC which is unburnt fuel.

MMO could have higher hydrocarbons that do not combust as readily. Extremely plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back