Fuel Filter Change Interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your talking about your 06 GM products then you don't have a serviceable fuel filter. You do like with a Chrysler. When the pump dies, you replace the whole unit therefor receiving a new fuel filter.

I know the G6 doesn't but there is a part listed for the G5 (Delta - Cobalt/G5/Ion/Astra). Haven't looked for myself yet but hope to tomorrow.

I change the fuel filter approximately every 50K on my Buick Century. My Accord doesn't have a changeable filter (to my knowledge).

I went to buy a filter for my tundra at 100k, the dealer said it was too soon.

If it is replaceable, I would be inclined to do it sooner rather than later.

I don't remember the recommend change interval for fuel filter of any of my car, but I had it changed at about 100k in both LS400 and E430. The LS400 is more than 250k miles now, but it did not have a new fuel filter since 100k miles and did not have any problem.

Originally Posted By: PW01
Say what you will, but I change mine every 30k

Is yours in the tank?

Originally Posted By: cp3
So what's the consensus on this? Doesn't seem to be anything in the manual. Anyone with a Delta platform changed one yet? When?

That would completely depend on the kind of car and the filter it specifies.

My BMW has a fuel filter the size of a can of tennis balls. I'm sure it has a longer service interval than one the size of a roll of film.

I agree with 30k. The filter on my 01 Escape is easy to change so I don't mind doing it myself. I think the fuel pump will last longer if it is changed. My Escape has 160k and the original fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I agree with 30k. The filter on my 01 Escape is easy to change so I don't mind doing it myself. I think the fuel pump will last longer if it is changed. My Escape has 160k and the original fuel pump.

Me too. On my Ford products I change every 30K miles give or take a couple thousand. My Chevy doesn't have a replaceable filter.
I'm not sure about the Camry. Guess I should check it. It's at about 30,000 miles.

Edit: Oops Rock Auto is showing only an in tank filter for the Camry. Guess I don't have to change it.

Last edited:
Fuel filters used to be very small.
Fuel injection filters are MUCH larger, and last a good long time.
They are designed for long life.
As noted, many are not replaceable and are in the gas tank. While I think this is a dirty trick, it shows that long life is expected.

30k is about the minimum I would consider, unless there were special filthy circumstances. Many work fine over 100k, but I would not go over that.

My Saturn specs new ones every 100k, but is regulator as well.

I changed it at 150k and everything is still the same. I've changed them in several of my vehicles. No change, but then again you probably wont notice until its too late.

But personally, generally I dont think they need replacing. But it never hurts to do so, except mine was a $90 part, but was super simple to replace so it kind of evened out.

I usually replace around 60,000. This is probably over-kill, since most of my car's are bought used around 100k, and the filter's are generally original.

I have had fuel pump's quiet down after replacement, though.

I change mine yearly.
Only because they are so [censored] easy on my car, and I also have a tendancy to run my fuel tank don very low, to the point where there is less than a gallon left in the tank.

I know the G6 doesn't but there is a part listed for the G5 (Delta - Cobalt/G5/Ion/Astra). Haven't looked for myself yet but hope to tomorrow.

My 03 Ion has a fuel filter in-line if that helps. Just need a regular fuel line disconnect tool to get it off. I replace mine every couple years during summer to avoid having to do it during the long winter, if it were to clog up.

At 50k mine had almost nothing in it, and no blockage. Some of the delta cars had a recall for fuel filters actually rusting (maybe it was the bracket also). The filter would get a hole in it, and leak fuel.

My car has been in NY its entire life, and didn't have a spot of rust on it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My 03 Ion has a fuel filter in-line if that helps.

Where is it? Didn't have it up on the ramps this weekend but I did roll around it a bit on the creeper and couldn't find anything.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My 03 Ion has a fuel filter in-line if that helps.

Where is it? Didn't have it up on the ramps this weekend but I did roll around it a bit on the creeper and couldn't find anything.

The filter is mounted horizontally, not towards the front and rear like on most vehicles.

It is right near the gas tank. If you crawl under the back side of the car, you can see high pressure hoses with quick disconnect fittings on them, the filter is attached to that.

The quick disconnect fittings are GREAT, and come off with your fingers. When you get those off, you need to use a disconnect tool to actually get the filter off the line which was a challenge for me. I've done MANY cars with this style filter (fords), and it is usually a 2 minute affair, but the saturn was very tough, due to something being bent in the locking mechanism of the filter that someone else had put on.

The entire job "SHOULD" be about a ten minute affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back