idea for chain maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
WD40 cleans "OK" but kerosene or diesel is the cat's meow for cleaning those filthy chains - and does it in a hurry.

In my mind, chain tension is the most important item. After that, the #2 item is to lube the chain, and #3 is to periodically CLEAN the chain. All of that lube attracts grit which needs to be removed, from time to time.

I use a no-sling chain lube which is manufactured for Bel-Ray. For no other reason than it's available at several local bike shops, is relatively inexpensive, and gives great chain life.

Of course, there are many, many, other lube alternatives that will probably work just as well.

Have never tried using simply WD-40. One would think that it would attract less grit and therefore be beneficial. How much lube do we really need on an o-ring chain?

There are also new generation chains that supposedly never need lube.

???

Last edited:
I don't doubt that WD40 is OK for chains. Personally I choose to use 30w motor oil, after having used 85-90 gear oil.

I'd use WD 40 to clean my chain but I can't stand the smell of it. The same with diesel oil or kerosene - they both probably work great, I'm just unwilling to put up with the strong petro chemical fumes.

I wipe it down good first, then apply 30w, then wipe off the excess, about every 300 miles.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Don't like the smell of WD-40? Blasphemy!!

It's workshop cologne around here.

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

All you ever need in life is some Vise-Grips, Duct Tape, and WD-40....everything else is just showing off.

When I clean a chain, its wd40 and a rag. THeres no reason to make it inspection clean IMO. Kerosene application is going to be far more messy. But it will work fine if you have the time.

The issue I have with wd40 only use, it offers no sprocket life, sprockets cost money, you have to run not only lube , but a lube that offers the film strength to hold up in a coutershaft sprocket or else youll need a new more often. Few lubes can handle that area.

I mention HOt sprays, when the chain is hot after a run, thats when you hit it with wd40 and wipe off the excess. It will suck the wd40 plus what ever lube you have right into the chain as it cools.

Last edited:
Why clean with wd40..its expensive to clean..
Im using RK chains,cleaning with kerosene(cheap)
& also RK chain packaging says clean with kerosene..
After clean,lube it,with gear oil,75w90(1 litre,can last forever)..
After lube,clean the excess oil,with cloth,leave it for a night..
Important to leave it for a night..
Den tomoro u are ready to ride,no fling off..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back