Honda power steering fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I just recently took over maintenance of my Mom's 99 Honda Accord EX V6, with 114k on the clock. At some point she lost the manual to the car, so I'm going to need to find another one. I just noticed that the power steering fluid is pretty low. I'll probably do a "turkey baster" fluid replacement, but don't know what to use. As always, any help is appreciated!

You need Honda Power Steering Fluid, available from any Honda or Acura dealer. Don't use ATF or off-the-shelf PS fluid from parts stores unless it specifically says it's a direct replacement for Honda Power Steering Fluid.

Hondas are one of the few that need their own proprietary fluid, or one that specifically states it is OK for Hondas.
There may be Honda vehicles that are OK with other fluids or ATF, but I'd play it safe here.

You can turkey baster the brake fluid as well. All fresh fluid to mix in the system.
BTW, if the fluid was really low, you may need pads or shoes soon.

Originally Posted By: citationxeleven
Either DOT 3 or DOT 4 works fine.

Brake fluid in the power steering?

Originally Posted By: citationxeleven
He asked about PS then Brake Fluid in a different question.

Oh! hahahha, sorry I missed that.

Watch out for Bardahl branded supposedly Honda/Acura compatible P/S fluid. I put some in my TSX recently when I did a P/S fluid suck and fill partial change and the replacement fluid messed up the steering, particularly during a cold start. The steering wheel would jerk in my hand when making the initial turns backing out of my garage. It was acting as if one of the pressure control valves in the P/S pump was opening and closing erratically.

Fortunately I was able to suck and fill the reservoir twice using replacement NAPA branded Honda compatible fluid (which is what I had used for years before picking up that Bardahl **** at O'Reilly). Now my car's steering is behaving properly again.

I was quite surprised by this!

There is few I would buy from dealer, in this case I would buy PSF from a Honda dealer rather than aftermarket. It may cost $1-2 more per bottle at dealer, but you will be sure not getting weird problem.

Buy the PSF at the dealer. Cost is actually cheaper compared to Oreilly. Some unknown brand 'honda compatible' fluid at Oreilly costs $3.99/12 onces, while dealer in my area charges something like $3.50/12 once bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back