1996 Nissan Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1996 Nissan Pickup reg cab 2wd with the 2.4L engine. I done a oil change it calls for just over 4qts in the owners manual. I put a Oreillys Microguard oil filter and 4qts of Valvoline Maxx Life 10W-30 in it and its overfull like around 3/8" past full mark. Will this hurt it should I drain some out or should it be fine? I drove it and got it up to normal operating temp and checked it and its still over full. What should I do? Thanks!

Ok thanks for the info. I was just wondering because its so much over full like 1/4 to 3/8 past the mark. I didnt want to mess anything up or cause it to start leaking or anything.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Don't worry about it at all - a bit over full won't hurt a thing.

Are you sure about that? What if the crank whips a bunch of air into the oil? How can you tell?

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
The 4wd's only hold like 3-1/2 quarts. I'm pretty sure the 2wds are about 4-1/4 so you *should* be ok with 4-1/2,

Yea the manual says 4 and 1/8 quarts with filter change and I have just barley over 4 and its over full. I dunno why??????

Maybe I should just drain some out tomorrow for a piece of mind but really didnt want to. Thanks!

Your peace of mind is important.
This is not a critical issue, but if it will nag you, dump some out.
There is a chance it will actually do some good.

Easier solution - unscrew the filter and drain the oil out of it, and then re-screw the filter on. Problem solved.

Take a filter out and drain the filter. That will bring you to the correct mark. Remember, oil takes sometime to get to the pan so if you're 3/8 overfill when you first refill, you could be more than half a quart overfilled when all oil settle down. Just drain the filter.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Yea the manual says 4 and 1/8 quarts with filter change and I have just barley over 4 and its over full. I dunno why??????

FYI, if this is a Nissan factory manual, that would be why. They are well known for their errors for fluid capacities, voltage readings, etc.

Originally Posted By: quint

FYI, if this is a Nissan factory manual, that would be why. They are well known for their errors for fluid capacities, voltage readings, etc.

Yes its the owners Manual that came with the truck new.

I also have a 1996 2WD Nissan pickup and have the same problem. I've only had it for a year so only have done 2 oil changes. I didn't drain any oil out and haven't had any problems, but the next change I'm putting in less oil to try to be at the correct level since it bothers me a bit too.

Originally Posted By: quint

Yes its the owners Manual that came with the truck new.

Oops sorry I was actually refering to the factory shop manual, not the owners manual. It wouldnt surprise me if the owners manual is just as sloppy though.

In my Toyota owners manual, the transmission oil capacity and engine oil capacity are both wrong!

My first tundra (4.7) had an incorrect length dipstick, Toyota sent me the correct one in the mail. I don't remember if that made it closer to what the manual called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back