I got bored today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i vote pennzoil platinum. the view from my oil fill hole went from dark yellow to greyish (the color of metal) in like
500 miles time when i first switched to pennzoil platinum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Are the valves adjusted on this thing with shims, or does it have hydraulic lifters?

She uses Shims mechanical valves. For some reason Hyundai changed from hydraulic to mechanical. Noise I think?

Ken

Not sure how much varnish is normal, but it does seem to be kind of heavy considering the fact that you used some pretty good oils in the OCIs. I wonder what the valvetrain on my used 06 Ford Mustang GT looks like. I bought it with 25,000 miles on it and don't know the OCI history.

Maybe long life?
It looks like you'd have to remove the cams to do any shim adjustment.
OTOH, hydraulic lifters are not always long lived, and are pretty intolerant of dirty oil.
I personally prefer mechanical lifters, but Lord knows that hydraulic lifters have been in use for decades without too many problems.
I believe the first application was the Cadillac V-16?

Don't need to remove the cams to adjust the valves replace the shims with a special tool that pushes them down and slides them out.

Everybody says try this try that but. How is this or that supposed to clean varnish that is all ready on there? If RL
won't do it then PU won't and I will not put a solvent like
MMO in my engine.

From my readings of PU and Pennzoil oils they say nothing about removing existing deposits but will keep your engine clean from the start.
I have not seen that statement of late about removing 40% the first
pass throught the engine.

Nights all

Ken

I would put MMO in an engine and do all the time. You guys are blowing alot of money on boutique oils when $3.77 at Walmart for a quart of MMO would do all the necessary cleaning you're looking for.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I would put MMO in an engine and do all the time. You guys are blowing alot of money on boutique oils when $3.77 at Walmart for a quart of MMO would do all the necessary cleaning you're looking for.

So true. I, too, was a victim of "boutique oil syndrome' for years until I met this site and the smart folk who inhabit it!

MMO is indeed a solvent, but many oils are too in the strictest definition of the word.

Originally Posted By: Ken42
Current car: 2005 Hyundai Elantra: Current fill Redline 5W-20
Redline MTL in the transmission.
Previous fill Pennzoil YB 5W-20 5636 mile OCI

I noticed in your sig that you last ran PYB. So clearly Pennzoil didn't clean up any varnish.

I hope remove the valve cover again after your done with the RL.

No timing chain sadly it is just for decorative purposes
smile.gif

Actually it runs the intake cam off of the exhaust cam which is turned by a belt.
frown.gif

The thing in the lower right is the CVVT unit and controls the intake valve timing.

Ken (in freezing cold WA state)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back