Slime digital tire gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife bought a Slime (maker of the green snot for tires) digital gauge. It is 5 PSI off from my trusty gold pencil gauge and my Craftsman digital gauge.

Unsure if its a defect or a poor product.

At the end of the day, I trust my gold pencil gauge, it needs no batteries.

The only type of gauge I ever liked was the dial type. But good point, who knows which gauge it is that is off. Maybe borrow a buddy's and see how that reads?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The best China has to offer!!!

lmao!

The pop out gauges aren't super accurate.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Aren't the sticks notoriously inaccurate?
All mine are. They all show a different pressure. One reads 10 psi Low.

I trust my Digital one over the pencil ones.

Thats a good point. However when my trusted pencil gauge and my Craftsman digital gauge are within 1 PSI and the Slime gauge is 5 PSI off, I would guess the Slime gauge is inaccurate.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Thats a good point. However when my trusted pencil gauge and my Craftsman digital gauge are within 1 PSI and the Slime gauge is 5 PSI off, I would guess the Slime gauge is inaccurate.

Slime gauges are all inaccurate.

I think the pencil ones with a square thing that comes out with the pressure are more accurate than the pencil ones with a flat thing you read the pressure off.

I would trust Craftsman over Slime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
What kind of tire gauge do NASCAR pit crews use?
That would be the one I'd want in my tool box.

this?

In cases where you're not sure, it's good to gather all your gauges and your friends' for comparison. That would have to do until you find an easier way to calibrate them.

Also the smaller the scale (that still works for you) the better job it will do. Lets say the highest pressure you need to measure is 45 PSI, then get a 0-50 PSI rather than a 0-100 PSI.

I remember seeing one of those Duracell "trusted everywhere" tv commercials which featured Nascar. They were using a Intercomp digital tire pressure gauge, those cost like $300.

Originally Posted By: PRND3L

this?

Now we're talking.

OK, I found my 0-60 mechanical dial gauge. The tire was 47 by the dial, 46 by the pencil gauge and 46 by the Craftsman digital. The Slime was off by 5 PSI from the pencil and Craftsman.

Thus I have suggested to wife to return it. She does not pump gas nor check her tires, so why does she have a gauge.

She said someone told her a light comes on when your tires are low (2008 vehicle, so its required) so she opened the window looked at the tire and asked where the light was. She was then told its with the other dashboard indicators. (This is true, not made up).

And my wife couldn't understand why a flat tire is only flat on the bottom...true story! I have a 30 year old PCL pencil style, 2 Milton pencils, Craftsman $6 dial and some brand of digital...all are +/- 2lbs of each other. The first Craftsman dial was off by 5lbs so I exchanged it for one that was closer to all the others. Who knows what is the true pressure but I figure if they're all that close then it's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back